Sergeant P. A. Muldoon

Dwarf Fortress - Why not use the best sprite pack?

27 posts in this topic

sorry, I meant, rather than using the symbols on a keyboard (for example) why not use a whole set of customised symbols?

It could be up to NES style graphics without too much work

Because the Developers don't care about making the thing playable or usable for mere 'players' so long as they can create what is essentially a very sophisticated simulation inside the computer ware it will remain pristine and unsoiled.

ASCII is a statement in it's own right - screw the graphics wh0res! ;)

SPAM- the Ascii isn't a huge problem... It is surprising how fast one gets used to it. But the non mouse-usable interface, however, is a problem : ! :

Sprites can get pretty confusing, IMO. With ASCII, I don't need to remember exactly what those two green pixels and one yellow pixel on that dwarf's hand was supposed to mean.

Is this freeware?

I enjoyed watching a few tutorial videos (for some reason I chose to spend my evening on that), but I never got past the setup stage.

The beginning is kind of hard, until you get used to the interface. But now, with all-year-round agriculture and soil underground, it's not as hard to survive the first winter.

SPAM- the Ascii isn't a huge problem... It is surprising how fast one gets used to it. But the non mouse-usable interface, however, is a problem : ! :

I agree with all of this.

I managed to play games keyboard only as a kid, sure. But man, surely a gui won't destroy the integrity of what they've made, surely. If it is more donations to encourage it, I'll damn do it.

I'd say it's just that Toady prefers focusing his time on gameplay rather than on coding a GUI

FPS already kills when you get to higher levels of dwarvlihood anyways.

But that's just your CPU not coping. Complex graphics would be managed by the GPU mostly, which just sits idly in this game.

All's I know is when my fortress gets large, my PC makes scary noises.

Still playing this a year later, that should say something.

PC still making scary noises? or have you upgraded the CPU(what CPU do you use for this btw)?

not so much, I wouldn't say I upgraded, just bought an equivalent machine to the one I had before ($1400 less this time around) and figured out ways to combat fps issues.

There's carts that run on tracks now. All sorts of fun.

Bringing back the dead......

I haven't played DW in a LONG LONG time. Yet, I came across something earlier that made me think of it, so I searched the site to see if we have a thread on DF, and this is what I found.

So, anybody still playing? I hear in 2012 there were major changes to gameplay.

Still playing, it's confusing as ever and Toady should be doing a 2014 release any day now. I've been having fun modding it and such just tinkering around.

How's the release MT?