Lord of the Mark

I am currently reading

645 posts in this topic

Currently reading Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon which is the Arthurian legend...

...an even more interesting version is Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles. Lancelot is an utter a-hole but with really good P.R.; Galahad is the only Christian in the book worthy of the name. Arthur is the illegitimate son of the High King as has sworn an oath to support his deranged brother Mordred's claim to the throne.

On the Wolves of the Calla at the moment.

5th book in Stephen Kings Dark Tower series.

Still enjoying the read.

Promethia by Alan Moore.

Uh' date=' what's it about?[/quote']

Sort've bizzarro Wonder Woman. I need to read more before I answer better than that...
Yeah; Wonder Woman on acid; hard to describe.

Back to that SF anthology now...

Lord of Light - a Hugo-winning classic by Roger Zelazny that I'm enjoying for the third time in the last 35 years.

:D The Wounded Land was definitely a downer and I'm not as fond of the Harauchi as Donalson is' date=' but [i']The One Tree [/i]was great and White Gold Weilder was decent.

Spoiler alert: I'm pretty sure the Arch of Time represents a circle, and Covenant is going to be revealed to be Lord Foul in the next/last book. You heard it here first...

That is already evident, especially by the end of WGW, as Thomas himself states that Foul is just an aspect of himself, the part of him that hates Lepers.

Get's to be a chore, having to look up new words every other page, when reading Donaldson...

And I'm currently reading ther eARC of A Rising Thunder by David Weber, the most resent installment in the Honor Harrington Series. This book is actually Part A of the original Book that David was working on, but he had to go and split it into 2 parts, with the next part due to come out later this year.

And I hope that the upcoming HH Movie will be good.

That is already evident, especially by the end of WGW, as Thomas himself states that Foul is just an aspect of himself, the part of him that hates Lepers.

Get's to be a chore, having to look up new words every other page, when reading Donaldson...

Well, that's on the unbelief level - I'm talking about internally for that reality, Convenant cracks after cycling through all of time a few times, the Arch being an aspect of a circle and time being a big theme in the third trilogy. See, I wouldn't be surprized if the series ended with (what's left of) Convenant, desperate to end his own suffering, coaching Drool Rockworm on how to use the Staff of Law to summon his bane...

And yeah; I'm sure my vocabulary has doubled since I was 12, but Lord Foul's Bane is where I learned uncommon names of a lot of colors.

I'm currently reading Mitt Romney's economic plan. I think he has a better grasp of what needs to be done than Obama.

On the negative side, I think he's too positive on the Haliburton process/Marcellus shale deposits of natural gas

And I'm currently reading ther eARC of A Rising Thunder by David Weber, the most resent installment in the Honor Harrington Series.

It's complete?

The electronic Advanced Readers Copy (Unproofed) is available at the Baen Webscription site. From what I had last read over at the Baen forums (over a month ago) was that David is still working on the 2nd half of this book (will have a different title) amd should be out later in the year. The Dead Tree version should be on the shelves in March or April (Can't remember the exact date as I've already gotten the eARC, so don't care....).

Dragons of the Highlord Skies by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. products_dlnovel_959797200_lgpic.jpg

Edited by Arcainite

Is it any good? I always avoided those tie-books like the plague; they squeeze out shelf space for the real fantasy/SF, for one thing. But I'm asking, keeping in mind that you're into that stuff.

Yes, I am enjoying these 3 Lost Chronicles books immensely. They fill in a lot of the gaps of the original 3 Chronicles books that launched DragonLance.

It would be very nice to read them all in order if you're new to the series, reading the first Chronicles book, the first Lost Chronicles book, the second Chronicles book, the second Lost Chronicles book, then the third ones. The Preludes series are not neccessary to read first, though you could do that also, and, naturally, you would read Legends AFTER you finish.

Just finished "Dancing With Analysts" by David A. Mallach. It's a book about investing in the stock market, in an allegory/story form. It struck me as profound enough to adopt the strategy. I'll let you know how it works out.

I also recently read "The Time of Terror" by Seth Hunter. It's historical fiction about the French Revolution. Our hero is a Brit Sea captain smuggling counterfeit francs into France. It was a pretty good story, but I couldn't believe the part about him volunteering to run another mission under the same identity on the same ship after he'd been imprisoned for 5 weeks and released with a warning never to return. Of course he found himself in jail again and being tortured. Yes, he returned for love but he didn't have to be that stupid about how he did it. Aside from that, it was a good story and informative.

Back to historical fiction.

"The Sword of Carthage " by Vaughn Heppner. It's a fictional "autobiography" of Hamilcar Barca, Hannibal's Dad, in his youth.

It tells about politics, commerce, and religion in Carthage during the first Punic War. Why were they so rich? Why were they so despised? Because they operated a lot like the Spanish in the colonization of the New World. A strict monopoly enforced with a navy, which allowed them to buy cheap and sell dear in the mediterranean basin and the northern half of africa as well as the British Isles.

I suppose it's more accurate to say that the Spanish modeled themselves after the Carthagenians. :)

Why did they neglect martial studies? They believed that wealth was power and with enough of it you could buy and sell armies and negotiate peace. What they didn't understand was soldiers, their sense of duty, their desire for glory/ honor.

Of course the Barca family was different.

Dragons of the Highlord Skies by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

How many books have they written now?

I am currently reading Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut as part of my "read the classics you should have already read you doofus" campaign.

I am about half way through - and am unsure what to make of it. At first I hated it - thought it was shoddily written, and I was going to scream if I read "so it goes" one more time. Now I seem to be finding its "rhythm" for want of a better term - and am starting to, if not "enjoy it" then "not want to burn it".

I have The Trial by Kafka sitting on the bedside table as my next option. :scared:

I've been reading some old school stuff: Harry Turtledove's Worldwar: In the Balance. I intend to read the whole series again, as I have not read them in a very long time.

In the classics category, I recently read Brave New World. I found it interesting, but can't really see the world heading that way (of course, it is 80 years old, at least). I also read some bits and pieces from The Mabinogion, but can't keep interest in it as yet.

... and I was going to scream if I read "so it goes" one more time...

At some point, you'll want to read "Inferno" by Pournelle and Niven. It's a retelling of Dante's Inferno, with a science-fiction writer as the main character. When he passes through the burning tombs, there's one with "So it goes" written on it.

Guess I do more reading when WPC is down... go figure.

Walking with Analysts by David A. Mallach, a sequel about a growth and income stategy. Perhaps this is better suited to my wife's comfort level in investing.

I also read two witty mystery- romance books, which made me laugh out loud. "Making Waves " by Tawna Fenske was her first book, and the funiest novel I've read in years. It's about a quirky genius woman with mob ties who accidentally stowed away while intoxicated with some ex-shipping company employees on a revenge heist to compensate themselves for lost pensions. Very entertaining !

She also wrote "Getting Dumped" about a Pubic Relations woman transferred from the District Attorney's office to operating heavy equipment at the landfill and uncovering a handbag counterfieting ring. While I didn't find it as funny, I still laughed aloud. It's an interactive electronic book, the various mysteries keep me guessing, and it ends with a cliffhanger.

Readng the 3rd book in teh Girl with the Dragon tattoo series now (girl who kicked the hornets nest).

I would advise the series as they are well written, but caution that it is only appropriate for a mature audience (particularly the first book).

Just finished Life by Keith Richards.

Was loaned it by a pilot who stays at the hotel.

Not a bad read really. Still not really a Stones fan.

Recently finished Is John 3:16 the Gospel? by David Pawson. A good read.:) Only 60 pages or so, so it went fast. Planning to begin to read Israel in the New Testament by the same author, as soon as I get the time.

Edited by Nikolai

Just finished The Crusades by Thomas Asbridge, thanks Alexander and Crusader Kings 2 for the inspiration! Awesome book, I couldn't put it down.

Next up, either The Vikings by Magnus Magnusson or The Hammer and The Cross - A new history of the Vikings by Robert Ferguson.

I'm on a bit of a history roll........