Lord of the Mark

I am currently reading

645 posts in this topic

the source manual for Lua, and 'A History of Wales' by John Davies.

"Dune: House Harkonnen" (Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson) - disappointing :bored:

I'll say. Dan, I gave up on those books after the third one. Man, they're awful. It's hard to believe those two guys read the same "Dune" series I did. It's like fanfic- not good fanfic, either.

Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

I was stunned when I saw this had come out. I'd heard Pratchett had contracted Alzheimer and had given up writing. Then presto! :cool:

Arthur Cooper, Li Po and Tu Fu, Selected Poems (two late T'ang dynasty poets)

W.L. Idema, Mirror of Classic Chinese Poetry from The Book of Odes to the Ching Dynasty (in Dutch)

Both books are also quite informative as concerns background information.

A Bridge Too Far.

Good reading. I suspect the Brits find it unfair to Monty.

How so? Montgomery gambled for once - and lost. (And it was a very huge gamble.)

"Dune: House Harkonnen" (Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson) - disappointing :bored:

Only ever read the first Dune book.

Edited by JEELEN

How so? Montgomery gambled for once - and lost. (And it was a very huge gamble.)

Well for one, Eisenhower could have gambled on Patton instead, almost certainly a better bet (a much simpler operation) but Monty insisted.

And Monty made numerous mistakes. Most egregiously, ignoring the intell from the Dutch resistance on the presence of German armor near Arnhem. And failing to pinch off the German 15th army in the peninsula above Antwerp.

And generally relying on an armored thrust more or less up a single narrow road - especially difficult tank country between Nijmegen and Arnhem.

At least that is the impression I get from the book.

BTW, I am now reading a book about the history of coffee, called Uncommon Grounds. It has some interesting anecdotes, but it does not inspire reliance on its facts. In one chapter the author is discussing a coffee baron of German origin who made it big in the US, and who returned to Germany in October 1914. The author tells us that this showed his lack of foresight, as he did not expect WW1 to break out.

In October 1914. Hmmmph.

I bought The World Was Going Our Way, the second installment of Mitrokhin papers handed over to the West from the Soviet Union, but I haven't really read much of it yet. I've been intending to get some of it read.

A long time ago, I also bought The 9/11 Commission Report and The Iraq Study Group Report but did not finish reading them. Although the time is probably long past now, I want to get on with them and finish them too.

"A Song of Ice and Fire", a Fantasy Series by R.R. Martin

Im on the second book, "A Clash of Kings".

Pretty good so far, my 19 year old insisted I read the books, and he was right on.

Dragon's Teeth by Upton Sinclair

Edited by Greybriar
I left the 's off Dragon's.

Dragon Teeth by Upton Sinclair

Wow, this sounded like a great fantasy novel...until I saw who the author was. :lol:

It's a classical reference, but you know that. I bet it's a great non-fantasy novel, though. That feller can write.

White Plume Mountain by Paul Kidd. I really love this book despite not liking the cover art. Almost through with it and yes, it's based on the Dungeons & Dragons adventure of the same name. He wrote some other stuff that I plan on reading next in the same vein, though I would imagine with different characters.

A Second Chance at Eden by Peter F Hamilton. A collection of short stories. I must say that he's become my favourite SF writer of late...

I just finished reading the new WoT book, Gathering Storm, at first I didn't like Branden's style but I got into it near the end.

Urm, not sure if you'd call it actively reading but an "There's probably no God" - An Atheist Guide to Christmas.

Also randomly flicking through QI pocketbooks, one's on Animals I think the other one's General.

I was stunned when I saw this had come out. I'd heard Pratchett had contracted Alzheimer and had given up writing. Then presto! :cool:

We had a show on TV about him writing with Alzheimer. There was a couple of episodes, two I think.

That's the football one? Terry Pratchett has the awesome claim that in every book of his I read I'll know I'll laugh.

Edited by RMcD94

I finished American Gods and read a pile of graphic novels over Christmas. I've run out of books to read. I guess that makes this post OT. Hmmm- let's see.

I am currently reading WPC. The narrative lacks coherence, but there a lot of killer lines here and there...