Buster's Uncle

Taking requests...

308 posts in this topic

In your map there is nothing stopping the Human players from just ignoring the middle route, and instead sending their units straight to the enemy prog faction. There would need to be some kind of barrier like ocean. They could either raise the terrain and make a land bridge or use transports that way if they still wanted but they would be forced to at least use the middle until they have those capabilities.

Yes I agree, the middle must have somethig there to play into strategy

I am working on the balance of battle, if a human team sends to many units to aid his alien ally, the opposing human player could strike him(human faction straight across from him (depending on orintation)

I probably won't be available over the weekend or later tonight. I will try to throw together a rough draft of a map on Monday maybe. Just basic terrain and water, see if what I am thinking for a setup works for you.

I basically have the same schedule

thank you!

Ps just a pic would be great, I'm not to sure if I could open a map to look at it, but I could probably figure it out

Merry Christmas

and no hurry ok

This is more along the lines of the actual scenario itself and not really related to the map design. I was also thinking, the 7th neutral faction should probably be a boosted AI faction. A human faction could prove to be too much of an advantage to whichever side they end up supporting. An AI faction could be very unpredictable. They might ally some players on both sides of the fight, gifting units and trading with both teams. They might even decide to not make an alliance to anyone on either side. Even if this was the case 1 team could try to conquer his land for an added advantage and another path to get to the opposing human factions.

I basically have the same schedule

thank you!

Ps just a pic would be great, I'm not to sure if I could open a map to look at it, but I could probably figure it out

Merry Christmas

and no hurry ok

I could probably Screen shot the map for you then. Merry Christmas to you too.

This is more along the lines of the actual scenario itself and not really related to the map design. I was also thinking, the 7th neutral faction should probably be a boosted AI faction. A human faction could prove to be too much of an advantage to whichever side they end up supporting. An AI faction could be very unpredictable. They might ally some players on both sides of the fight, gifting units and trading with both teams. They might even decide to not make an alliance to anyone on either side. Even if this was the case 1 team could try to conquer his land for an added advantage and another path to get to the opposing human factions.

Yes. This statement shows we have connected! An elite AI would create great diversity, I only suggested it be a human position because it itself has its own diverse strategy (using the 2 teams to improve himself) it maybe dificult to find a player so diabolical.

When I came up with this idea I sat there and played the game threw in my head and what I came up with was (to me) fascinating and very unique. On one hand you have a true alien vs alien war with the added tech push from the humans. It is clear to the humans that the aliens are a supperior race and can not beat them so they decide which of the 2 beliefs the aliens stand for and choose their side but then find themselves in a Human Crosfire

The humans discover they are in a delicate position strategically, if they consentrate to heavily on supporting their alien ally, they leave the door open to the opposing human using it to futher advantage and attacking and eliminating their enemies supporters.

I never intended the 7th to directly support the alien factions, they were to add complexity to the human alliances which would indirectly, but also could be costly if the 7th became expensive or unpredictable, and this paints a very distinct picture.

I wish I had your skill :drool:

Last note; there are some things to weigh, size of map, length of game, values of anything that can be changed(if any?), how much cities are preplaced and where, and starting units.

This is definately a WARMONGER game, that has only some empire building and only a fair amount of micro manegement but is extreme in team focus. so not everyone will like this, but those that do I hope will Love it

Here is a rough outline of a map. I haven't added much elevation or any rivers so the terrain looks very dry right now.

You never specified a size so I chose 40x80. Let me know if you think this is good or not. If you want me to change anything, or just take the design in a totally different direction. It took me less than an hour or to throw this together so not a big deal to start over.

Trying to balance each sides rainfall, rivers, and resources is the time consuming part. Especially rivers, they are hard to get to flow the direction you want.

mappreview.png

Wow!!!

First of all its very nice. It looks like an Alien :) and I can't see anything wrong with it at all, in fact it has a lot of choke points as you meantion that I didn't realise was going to be so important here.

AlienRPG2_1.jpg

Team (1)

Team (2)

(1)To reduce the use of Foils/Ships(transports) on the coast the small circled area could be connected.

(2)The large circles are regarding the 7th's access to the allies, I have no idea if this is to many choke points, for an example if the 7th became agressive, the alliy(s) would need many units to cover all the pathing, reducing Alliance support. Do you think a human player playing the 7th would want this? Or if this position was a boasted AI would this be best. If I was playing as the 7th I would LOVE IT because of my style of play. But my point is we should evaluate the over all balance of the scenario. Does it make a difference AI or Human?

this was my original sketch LoL

thealienrpgmap.jpg

How do you feel about after the players choose their factions, placing Landmarks that benefits or counters benefits?

The only reason I meantion this is once a PBEM is launched it completely relies on how interested the players are with the game, only about 10% make it to the halfway point which is complely opposite in multiplayer because time makes it intense!

(1)To reduce the use of Foils/Ships(transports) on the coast the small circled area could be connected.

(2)The large circles are regarding the 7th's access to the allies, I have no idea if this is to many choke points, for an example if the 7th became agressive, the alliy(s) would need many units to cover all the pathing, reducing Alliance support. Do you think a human player playing the 7th would want this? Or if this position was a boasted AI would this be best. If I was playing as the 7th I would LOVE IT because of my style of play. But my point is we should evaluate the over all balance of the scenario. Does it make a difference AI or Human?

this was my original sketch LoL

thealienrpgmap.jpg

(1)I wanted to make it possible for the human factions to open a rear flank against the progenitor factions or vica versa. I don't think having one open from the start is the best option though. It can be bridged with a single transport foil fairly early that can act as a ferry, making sea power an actual strategy in this game to defend and hold certain areas. Of course it can be eventually reached with 1 terraform up if either side wants to go that route too. If you disagree and want me to connect it I will change it.

(2)For the middle choke areas near 7, I wanted to make it hard for 1 faction to completely wall off the area with a base on a sensor or a bunker on a forest or rocky tile. An AI would have a hard time getting past that. Having multiple small pathways will force their units to cluster as they approach to attack giving the impression of a power rush so to speak. (I got that idea from something Darsnan wrote a while back, though I have never actually tried to put it to use.) I could fill in more of it with land to make a larger area, or add more water to make a singe smaller choke. Each of the 3 ways will have their different advantages and disadvantages. This is for your game though so I will change it how you want.

I cant really make those sketches out too well. I am pretty sure I have seen the first one before in the other thread. the second one doesn't look familiar to me though.

How do you feel about after the players choose their factions, placing Landmarks that benefits or counters benefits?

The only reason I meantion this is once a PBEM is launched it completely relies on how interested the players are with the game, only about 10% make it to the halfway point which is complely opposite in multiplayer because time makes it intense!

If you want me to change or add something to this before you start a PBEM I will. The map as it is now is not even finished as I mentioned earlier so I will be adding more to it and making any changes you want eventually anyways.

Please let me start over. After reading what I wrote last night caused me to shake my head HuH?

This map is much more Grand than I ever imagined and the areas I mentioned yesterday are just fine the way they are now. Please add the terrain as you see fit.

I am loving that mountain in the Alien region!!!

Edited by eclipse4449

Well If you want me to add a specific landmark for each faction I will. I believe you were asking for a starting landmark before your discussion stalled out before.

I don't want you to think that I am telling you how to do things. I am merely making the map for your game, if you want something changed tell me.

Well If you want me to add a specific landmark for each faction I will. I believe you were asking for a starting landmark before your discussion stalled out before.

I don't want you to think that I am telling you how to do things. I am merely making the map for your game, if you want something changed tell me.

Yes thank you very much, I understand, no I love the map.

We really can't place landmarks untill we have Factions assigned

Keeping the balance of power much higher on the Alien's side, (I don't want some surprise mid-game where the human factions out play the aliens and take over)

This scenario is to be;

A war game

A team Game (like a Demo game)

Substantial enough that a good strategy could win the game in maybe 50 turns or less(for replayability)

It all comes down to how close the spacing between bases is for how many can be placed. With the intention being a relatively quick skirmish I would imagine a slightly tight ICS would be the best method of placement.

Probably a spacing like this X= bases O= is open terrain

XOOXOOXOOX

OOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOO

XOOXOOXOOX

OOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOO

XOOXOOXOOX

This would allow 8 workable tiles adjacent to each base. So with 1 crawler per base you can have all 8 tiles used when you reach the hab complex limit. Morgan won't due to the size 4 restrictions, and lal can go past 7.

Alternatively, giving them a non overlapping placement with the starting bases gives the player the option to fill them in or place them however they see fit. Which might be better as we wouldn't be forcing any play style on a player.

Either way more predeployed bases means less time spent building CP's and expanding and the faster the actual fighting can begin. I would guess 2 or 3 bases for each of the allied human factions, 5 or 6 bases for the neutral faction, probably 8 bases for the Progenitors.

The human allies shouldn't have as good of a start as the progenitors for sure. The allied humans will both be very close to each other so they will be able to defend each other easily as well. The neutral faction should have an advantage over an allied side at the start as well.

Woot Woot

Alternatively, giving them a non overlapping placement with the starting bases gives the player the option to fill them in or place them however they see fit. Which might be better as we wouldn't be forcing any play style on a player.

Perfect, this opens up most possibilities regarding strategies.

Either way more predeployed bases means less time spent building CP's and expanding and the faster the actual fighting can begin. I would guess 2 or 3 bases for each of the allied human factions, 5 or 6 bases for the neutral faction, probably 8 bases for the Progenitors.

This is correct, I'd say 3, 6 and then 9 for the Progs.

The human allies shouldn't have as good of a start as the progenitors for sure. The allied humans will both be very close to each other so they will be able to defend each other easily as well. The neutral faction should have an advantage over an allied side at the start as well.

Yes this also correct

Now I just need to go advertise to get players

I finished adding some rivers resources and some elevation. There are a few landmarks but those are mostly in the middle of the map. I also placed a few sensors about figured it would give something to fight over in the very early stages of the game. I got lazy and randomized rockiness, placing it all manually would be a huge PIA and at least an hour long process. I just double checked and added removed some trying to make sure it was pretty well balanced.

The forum won't support .mp files so I used winrar.

I didn't do any fungus yet, I am not sure how much you want.

Alternatively to giving each player a unique landmark, it would be much easier to give them some uranium and jungle tiles and a few monoliths to use. Things like Garland crater or pholus ridge will alter the map a great deal in the starting positions. Changing river flow and rainfall patterns greatly.

I wouldn't mind too much doing it either way Just pointing out the other as a possibility.

AlienRPG.rar

Edited by Imagine A Cool Name

I didn't do any fungus yet, I am not sure how much you want.

I think some should be everywhere, But the Aliens should have far more in comparison, I'm H'Minee so it would be nice to turn mindworms into minions(although I know there is less chance of this because they are less likely near cities)

Alternatively to giving each player a unique landmark, it would be much easier to give them some uranium and jungle tiles and a few monoliths to use.Yes this is a better idea, it adds precise power

I will dl map and load it up tomorrow, thanks

is the map set to wrapping? I don't want the 7th to sail East to the aliens or the humans to sail north or south to reach the other.

Hmm thats odd, all I have is the "Save" folder, I need a "Scenario" folder right?

I've not set up any games on this Windows 7 machine just played SP games and received pbem turns, I forget what all used to be there :(

Edited by eclipse4449

How does a large fungal belt in the middle, with some extending outward towards each player sound?

I will dl map and load it up tomorrow, thanks

is the map set to wrapping? I don't want the 7th to sail East to the aliens or the humans to sail north or south to reach the other.

It is a round map, You cannot sail north or south past the boundary of the map though. Player 7 could cross to the aliens as it is now. I am not sure how hard this would be to change, I can play around with it tomorrow.

I just looked at it and it wasn't too bad to switch to flat. I only lost about 30 land tiles to the cutoff point. Ignore the other download for now, I will put up a flat world version tomorrow or later tonight.

Ok thanks, take your time, I appreciate it.

Did you check out the new thread?

So what folders do you have for your install?

Yes a fungal belt in the middle is ok

if the flat part took to much I could create a rule forbidding the journey

Luckily I only had only ~ 30 tiles of progenitor land past the 0 line where it cuts off for a flat map the rest was water. If the 0 line was for instance in the middle of the Human ally area the map would be useless and I would have to start over on a new map.

The left side of the map will be next to the left boundary of the map after the switch to flat. I think there are a few gliches that can happen with units along the edge of a map. So I might make some changes to that. Adding water to that edge than taking the land further north and south to make up for the land that was removed.

Did you check out the new thread?

I have actually posted in the new thread already

So what folders do you have for your install?

I am not sure I understand this question completely. I have SMAC and SMAX. I would imagine I have the same folders as anyone else does, or if you mean the directory of my game I just have it on my desktop in a folder called games. I play it off of a USB drive on my older computer.

Yes a fungal belt in the middle is ok

if the flat part took to much I could create a rule forbidding the journey

I might work on it tomorrow placing fungus, and fixing the map to flat. I don't really have the desire to do any more work on it tonight.

No need for that rule since it should be easy enough to change the map to flat, though the pic of the map you posted in the game setup thread will be outdated .