Buster's Uncle

Taking requests...

308 posts in this topic

I'm not a big fan of PMing. You know why.

Is that why you're not, either?

Really sorry about this, I should probably have been checking the forums much more carefully. (A PM would have been fine by me, if that's what you are worried about.)

The Empire/Imperial/Fascists faction bases look pretty good. (The cobbled together version I had was supposed to be a bare bones, barracks looking building, but yours fits the appearance much better.)

For the Arcology, a couple of the deadlock bases seem a somewhat better fit. (http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/showthread.php?261-Graphics&p=153017&viewfull=1#post153017, right side, 4th from the bottom looks good, also right side, 6th from the bottom), although the more hive-like one is fine if you're not interested in doing anything with these anymore.

The "choose between two pictures" on was actually switched to this picture, though perhaps I uploaded the wrong one in the actual file uploads I sent to you. (Obviously just the face, not the other parts to it.)

(Of course, if you're not interested in any of this thanks to the 3 months wait for a reply, that's fine also.) Thanks for getting these up, though.

I'll try to work up the energy to get back on this, soonest. I've left you dangling on this forever, so I don't figure I get to complain. :nod:

Hi Buster's Uncle I see you are a creator but not sure all that you do?

I've wanted to play a created scenario I thought of. All together it sounds very difficult (at least to some).

In a nutshell it is an Alien vs Alien game. But each Alien has 2 Allys from the start, these allies are positioned cross from them meaning they must cross the path of the other Alien's ally. The 7th player can be of the players choice, they have the unique position to be bribed into one alliance or the other.

The map should be very small to create conflict from the start. This is a fighting game with only a small bit of empire building because of the small area. But it will be Micro management extreme.

I have a partially completed map, I think all that it is missing is some Landmarks

The Alien RPG

Alas, this is way outside my expertise. A lot of the oldtimers, including our beloved mods, could help you, and I have the idea that Imagine A Cool Name could, too.

Sorry.

I read through some of the alien rpg thread after BU made a subtle suggestion. I might help make a map if you still have interest in making that scenario. Due to the game's rainfall mechanics though it would be nearly impossible to have a balanced map if it is west vs east. You would have to play north vs south and have the 7th neutral faction flanked to either the west or east. If you still wish to do this, I would have other questions though before I would start so let me know if you still have interest and we can work out some of the map details.

AFAIK, the alien factions are hardcoded to have Vendetta against other alien factions at all times. No matter how many you put in a game.

The only workaround I ever thought of is doing a graphical switch in the game. Make the human factions alien, and vice-versa.

I have had limited success by forcing a pact on them with the scenario editor, they do remain allied and can move through each others territory and such. They still won't allow you to talk to each other in game though, and since progenitors get that infrastructure bonus instead of trade there is no real point in having them allied anyways. In his proposed scenario though the aliens would be at war so I doubt this would come up. I have never tried comunications between two human controlled Progenetor factions.

I read through some of the alien rpg thread after BU made a subtle suggestion. I might help make a map if you still have interest in making that scenario. Due to the game's rainfall mechanics though it would be nearly impossible to have a balanced map if it is west vs east. You would have to play north vs south and have the 7th neutral faction flanked to either the west or east. If you still wish to do this, I would have other questions though before I would start so let me know if you still have interest and we can work out some of the map details.

I am so pleased you are interested in helping me!!!!

Yes the North vs South sounds very good and the seventh being placed at the opposite side from the aliens

The essential goals is a high pressure war game, complexed strategy and intreging diplomacy (especially with the 7th player)

My direct email is eclipse4449ATgmailDOTcom

I have had limited success by forcing a pact on them with the scenario editor, they do remain allied and can move through each others territory and such. They still won't allow you to talk to each other in game though, and since progenitors get that infrastructure bonus instead of trade there is no real point in having them allied anyways. In his proposed scenario though the aliens would be at war so I doubt this would come up. I have never tried comunications between two human controlled Progenetor factions.

I think the only human playing alien faction comunication here would be taunting or any kind of discusion that might be used to mislead.

The human human players are esentually Vassals of the alien ally (Cooperative victory) so strategic discussions are more important here than in a common game.

When talking about one set of allys, you must consider the alegiance as a whole, and also how to incorporate the 7th player in on your side to give your team the edge. This could create a very powerful 7th player who could in the end want to go solo using any of the available win conditions. This must be thought out by us creators?

The original visions (still current) placed the human players crossing the path of the other human players to reach their Alien ally so fighting isn't exclusively on alien territory and the 7th player positioned to receive cities/land originally owned by the human player if land/city is more of value than credit or tech trading.

The last concept is probably the most important of them all! and it is build it so than game can be very short giving it a desire for a rematch and replayability.

Thank you very much for looking at this!!!!

An maybe "Alien RPG" title could be improved although RPG is my prefered method of playing Sid's games

So basically a setup like this

The H represents the human factions A for aliens

A1 H3 H4

..\..|../

................H7

../..|..\

A2 H5 H6

How about a setup like this though?

.....A1

H3...|...H4

..\...|.../

...................H7

../...|...\

.H5..|..H6

.....A2

Placing the Aliens off of the fron lines might make for a different strategy. They either have to go through the human allies to get to the aliens, or if it is an Island they have to take a ship all the way around to the back flank.

You could also do different things with the middle either way you have the map setup. A really small choke point that both teams would need to work hard at defending. Maybe a large field of fungus that they both need to watch for coming invaders. Or you could just leave it wide open. Maybe add some water so you can run some transports past ground defenses. How do you want the middle part, as i would imagine that would be the most important part of the map.

Edited by Imagine A Cool Name

In the upper diagram which are the allys? my original idea using your diagram would be A1 H5 H6

Your second diagram is also very good, my original concept for the 2 human players were that they researched diferent techs so their unit base would be diferent but would work if they moved side by side in an attach (one being defensive and artillery and the other human high powr attack

You could also do different things with the middle either way you have the map setup. A really small choke point that both teams would need to work hard at defending. Maybe a large field of fungus that they both need to watch for coming invaders. Or you could just leave it wide open. Maybe add some water so you can run some transports past ground defenses. How do you want the middle part, as i would imagine that would be the most important part of the map.

Yes you are right about the middle being very important

Originally I discusseed that the map would look like a skull

over the left eye, an alien

over the right eye an alien

the nose an obsticle between the human factions

the mouth, an obstacle between the 7th and the 4 human players

These eyes could be water giving oportunity to use the transports which is genious!!

I really believe a single landmass would be better

In the upper diagram which are the allys? my original idea using your diagram would be A1 H5 H6

So the Progenitor would have 2 human enemies next to them and their allies would be across?

The island concept is ok if players would like a longer game?
I meant the landmass as a whole would be an island. As opposed to a round map where the land goes all the way around. Not each team on a separate island

So the Progenitor would have 2 human enemies next to them and their allies would be across?

That is correct

The reasoning is top vs bottom or East vs West is common and the pathing would be linear and i'm going for what is not common

In the pic here

the aliens have a clear path to fight

the Prog needs his allys assistance with physical units in his territory, the opposing human could intercept them because they must cross their path

Do you have an idea of how large you want the map? The larger the map size the easier it would be to design and balance, but inevitably the game will last longer on a larger map. If you are looking for a quick skirmish type game that lasts maybe 100-150 turns, it can't be too large.

wait I have discovered you have been misled, the picture here does not show the alliance crossing as I'm discribing it

so what is your opinion of my discription vs the picture or visaversa

Edited by eclipse4449
missing word

In your map there is nothing stopping the Human players from just ignoring the middle route, and instead sending their units straight to the enemy prog faction. There would need to be some kind of barrier like ocean. They could either raise the terrain and make a land bridge or use transports that way if they still wanted but they would be forced to at least use the middle until they have those capabilities.

wait I have discovered you have been misled, the picture here does not show the alliance crossing as I'm discribing it

so what is your opinion of my discription vs the picture or visaversa

I understand your description of how you want the teams setup. From the map I looked at though I thought that the human allies would be on the same side as their progenetor ally. The lines I thought you meant the humans were crossing paths to fight the enemy Prog faction.