deathkitten

best plan to start from landing?

3 posts in this topic

should I just make tonnes of colony pods and nothing else or something? because all the other factions seem to throw them around very freely and its annoying because once they have territory its solid unless i declare war on them ;o

it seems to work for them very well because i see the caretakers with like garrisons of 5 not too far into the game

welcome to WePlayCiv, deathkitten!

since you are new to this site, you may want to introduce yourself. best place for that is this thread.

I found what looks like a pretty nice guide

we have the best Alpha Centauri guide right here, on our site. see link:http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48

best plan to start from landing?

you can find the answer to this question in the post #22 of the guide:

The Early Game: Expansion and Growth - A Primer:

With all of two colony pods and a scout patrol, it’s a little early yet to be thinking in stylistic terms. Right now, survival is the priority, and ensuring your survival means having a good number of bases to work with. Regardless of what kind of game you're playing, you're not going to get very far without a solid foundation. Having said that, getting your empire up to a "critical mass" with regards to overall number of bases is vitally important. Opinions vary about what exact number this "critical mass" is, but you could almost universally ballpark it in the 10-15 range.

So, what's the best way to get to that number of bases in a hurry? Well, there is no one "best way," but there are a number of pretty interesting approaches, each with their own set of advantages and disadvantages. (Again: Remember that during this phase of the game, your Empire is embryonic....it is not really large enough to have a set "playing style." That is to say that any of these early game strategies can be pursued by equally well, regardless of the play style you eventually wish to fall into (Builder, Momentum, or Hybrid)...

here is a small dictionary for SMAC abbreviations in case you need one.

Edited by bdanv