Alinestra Covelia

Spam reporting thread

203 posts in this topic

It got stickied, so I guess it has some merit.

"binggo11" is a spambot and it's been around for some time. Can some of the mods do something about it?

Sorry, my mistake - removed his posts once already but didn't press the ban button. Dealt with.

2 people like this

ugg15boot is still a member as well.

Not that y'all will need any ban encouragement from me, but boy, is the post new member gauplegop just made in Forum Civ a doozy...

We've had a definite upsurge in spammer activity lately. I'm considering the idea of just banning registrations from China altogether, I doubt we're getting much legitimate traffic from there, and 90% of the spam is Chinese traffic in origin.

Ali, could you help me out with writing a couple of sentences in Chinese?

hey! i had once a Chinese player posting twice in the SMAC IP League thread at 'Poly. :) please don't scare them away! :please:

Something along these lines:

"Due to the very large amount of spam messages originating from China, we have disabled the standard registration procedure for Chinese users. If you are a strategy gamer, though, we will be very glad to have you register. To do so, please send an email to info [at] weplayciv.com with your desired login information (username, email address) so we can process the request manually. Sorry for the inconvenience!"

Edited by Solver

...Perhaps with a phrase to the effect of "We welcome, and want, civ gamers- but not spam." ? :dunno:

...No, maybe more like "If you're a Civ gamer, we do want you to register."

1 person likes this

Good point, amended the text slightly.

1 person likes this

Something along these lines:

"Due to the very large amount of spam messages originating from China, we have disabled the standard registration procedure for Chinese users. If you are a strategy gamer, though, we will be very glad to have you register. To do so, please send an email to info [at] weplayciv.com with your desired login information (username, email address) so we can process the request manually. Sorry for the inconvenience!"

由于受到大量来自中国的垃圾邮件的侵扰,本网站已经停止受理中国用户的注册。

但是我们一如既往欢迎真正的策略玩家在本网站注册。

如果您需要注册,请将您的登录信息(用户名,电子邮件地址)用电子邮件发送至info@weplayciv.com。

收到该邮件后,我们将手工为您注册。对于由此为您带来的不便,我们深感歉意。

I'm confused - why did you have Ali type up a bunch of squares?

That's Chinese.

1 person likes this

I'm sorry it took so long. My Chinese proficiency is mostly conversational, not formal, and your site message needed something formal to it. I ended up shunting it to my Dad, who speaks Chinese as a first language. But then he didn't know what "spam" and other computer stuff was in Chinese, so he had to shunt it up to an IT guy he knew.

So, lots of shunting! :p

I'm confused - why did you have Ali type up a bunch of squares?

Hey Zack, if you want to get Chinese viewability for your computer, go to Control Panel, then Language and Regional Options, and then language and keyboard and Mandarin Chinese.

Oh yeah, sorry.

Other forums I'm on don't have those so they have a reporting thread. :oops:

A bald-faced lie! :slap:

It displayed fine for me. I checked the default view, too.

The Zack: did a joke just flop, or what? It happens.

1 person likes this

Oh, okay Ali. I couldn't find the keyboard selection you were talking about, but I get the problem.

It displayed fine for me. I checked the default view, too.

The Zack: did a joke just flop, or what? It happens.

Squares.jpg?t=1259715092