Ritchiejames

Let's Play Alpha Centauri?

112 posts in this topic

Can you be more specific on the software? I have no idea what software to use.

are you volunteering for the job?

are you volunteering for the job?

Yeah, I want to give it a try, but I still have no idea what software to use.

5 minutes of Jing recording doesn't seem like a viable option (and I see no reference that Jing records the sound). I could piece together 5 minute pieces of video and record the audio separately (also 5 minutes at a time), but this just seems like a lot of extra work and potentially a lot of troublesome synchronization.

try this and tell me if it's ok.

That looks alot more promising! Thank you!

...Maybe a "Let's Play" could be a 2 player game with 5 AIs instead of a single player game...

do you need an opponent here?

do you need an opponent here?

So far I've only installed CamStudio and have been testing different codecs, framerates, and quality. The visual part looks surprisingly good and compression is fairly good (files are smaller size). Add to this that the program is a very small no-nonsense application--yet easy to use--and I really like that :b:

Next up: Testing the audio.

Finally, I have to set up Alpha Centauri for best possible recordings... (that means installing the game from scratch again).

---

There are many ways to handle a "Let's Play", but I am inclined to try a community approach where we can all help decide how the game plays out (similar to democracy games); but any forum input on how to go about it would be much appreciated.

Meanwhile, I am making some mental notes on what to include, such as facts about game development and game reception. Still a lot of work to be done :)

Feel free to bring suggestions!

Edit: I recently got a new machine and added an X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card a few weeks later. It seems I am currently unable to record "stereomix" or "what you hear". The onboard sound card, however, should be able to do this, but I fear it needs rewiring. I need look into this technical issue. :(

Edited by Rubin

...There are many ways to handle a "Let's Play", but I am inclined to try a community approach where we can all help decide how the game plays out (similar to democracy games); but any forum input on how to go about it would be much appreciated.

this will slow down the project but having more people involved can be a good idea. keep in mind that the game should be played on one of the easier difficulty levels, so you'll need more help on the background story than on the gameplay.

Meanwhile, I am making some mental notes on what to include, such as facts about game development and game reception. Still a lot of work to be done :)

you can post your notes here. maybe someone else will contribute..

..and where is vyeh?

this will slow down the project but having more people involved can be a good idea. keep in mind that the game should be played on one of the easier difficulty levels, so you'll need more help on the background story than on the gameplay.

you can post your notes here. maybe someone else will contribute..

..and where is vyeh?

I don't mind a slow approach... I think.

I've been watching a lot of "Let's Play"s and reading up on different styles. Currently, I am leaning towards a "fun and entertaining" setting, rather than the typical "how-to", "funny", or "god-like game skill" settings. I am not an Alpha Centauri encyclopedia, I am not a top player, and I am probably not funny... Showcasing a typical entertaining game setting seems a viable option instead.

My biggest Alpha Centauri moments have never been "beating" the game, achieving the highest score, or anything like that. My biggest moment actually was a lost PBEM game where Chip Buckner and I planned a dangerous "denial raid"; over maybe 40 turns, we managed to divert the enemy alliance and stealthily launch an amphibious attack deep inside enemy territory, destroying several Secret Projects during the single turn finale... that was tense!

This means that a University ICS looks pretty boring compared to a technically starved, probe heavy Miriam bent on planetary conquest.

---

Why not play transcend difficulty? Why should the game be played on one of the easier difficulty levels?

Does the program you're considering allow recording the secret project movies in a format convertible to BIK?

Does the program you're considering allow recording the secret project movies in a format convertible to BIK?

I do not know.

For those movies, I would convert them into .avi using "Wing Commander Movie Player" (I think that's the name), then use RAD Game Tools (Edit: The download actually says "RAD Video Tools") for the .bik conversion. Just make sure the aspect ratio is right when converting the .avi files.

However, it may be possible to use CamStudio directly, but I have no idea if it works, and I have no idea if the quality would be better.

Edit: The Wing Commander Movie Player should have been available at http://www.wcrevival.de/hcl/movie_player.html , but I get a notification that this page no longer exists. I was able to look it up at archive.org and download the the movie player (version 1.2a, which I've previously used for Secret Project movie conversion).

Edited by Rubin
Fixed tool name

I've been watching a lot of "Let's Play"s and reading up on different styles. Currently, I am leaning towards a "fun and entertaining" setting, rather than the typical "how-to", "funny", or "god-like game skill" settings. I am not an Alpha Centauri encyclopedia, I am not a top player, and I am probably not funny... Showcasing a typical entertaining game setting seems a viable option instead.

...Why not play transcend difficulty? Why should the game be played on one of the easier difficulty levels?

the way i see it, we should agree first on the purpose of the "Let's Play".

we can do a "how-to" for the beginners and let them study Vel's Guide if they want to go transcend (that's what i had in my mind)

or

we can do a challenging transcend level game with the main purpose of entertaining (this will take us back to the 'MP as Spectator Sport' concept - this time using other tools).

I have the WC Movie Player, but the files that program produces are somehow corrupted for me. When I try to open the produced file with some program, or even simply hover the mouse over the file name in Windows Explorer, my computer crashes! Alas, I am unable to convert SMAC movie files. I assumed this was a general problem. But apparently not. You have succesfuly converted movie files in the past?

the way i see it, we should agree first on the purpose of the "Let's Play".

we can do a "how-to" for the beginners and let them study Vel's Guide if they want to go transcend (that's what i had in my mind)

or

we can do a challenging transcend level game with the main purpose of entertaining (this will take us back to the 'MP as Spectator Sport' concept - this time using other tools).

Ah, I understand. Thanks.

I have the WC Movie Player, but the files that program produces are somehow corrupted for me. When I try to open the produced file with some program, or even simply hover the mouse over the file name in Windows Explorer, my computer crashes! Alas, I am unable to convert SMAC movie files. I assumed this was a general problem. But apparently not. You have succesfuly converted movie files in the past?

Yes, I have converted quite a few of the Secret Project movies. And no, I've never encountered the problem you describe.

I have the same problem. First, only version 1.2a works.

I rename file wve to tgv, it plays, although looks like only 16-bit color is used. ripped avi crashes my explorer, that restarts, it's windows XP OS.

The first post in this topic was on my birthday. Random info for the win.

Also, did you ever get round to making it? I don't see any links.

Since this has already been necro'd I want to point out that :welldone: is now my favourite smilie on WPC

I have no other actual input for this thread.

Finally got a proper audio card, and got SMACX installed--as well as tweaking the graphics settings to record what's on the screen.

So, time for some input for a "let's play".

Also, does WPC offer upload space for these kinds of movies? I don't have a YouTube account, and would much prefer to have the material hosted here.

I did a few test recordings and everything seems fine (although the file size gets rather big, so maybe I need some kind of additional compression software).

The downloads page for SMAC is here. A quick look didn't show any restrictions for file size or type. You can PM Solver if any questions.

Petek

Thanks Petek and bdanv.

I think I've got some wiring issues for the microphone input on my sound card, causing an annoying humming. I may get it fixed by next week.

CamStudio seems to be the best free video/audio capture application, and I am experimenting with VirtualDub for editing and encoding the video. Somehow, the colors are slightly off (less vivid) in all the compression formats I've tried, but the x264vfw produces an acceptable quality at less than 20mb per minute of HD video (1080i). However, there are plenty of settings to mess with--most of which are completely gibberish to me :confused:

Ha! Test movie added to the WPC File Database. Perhaps this is a decent solution to hosting a "let's play"--unless there are all kinds of codec issues and movie player messups (which I deem highly likely).

Let me know if it works, please.

i managed to download and play it but the image is quite blurry

The video downloaded and played fine for me. The image was fairly clear for me as well. There was no voice by you, just the computer sounds, don't go the drones need you, psi combat and such.

Edit: thought came to mind, for possible reasons it would be blurry. he is recording at a very high resolution. Higher than I have I can tell. My monitor is 1440x900 could it be resizing problems that it is trying to make his video smaller to fit a lower resolution screen?

_________

On a side note how can you stand to play on a resolution that high? My eyes would be strained after an hour at that resolution.

Edited by Imagine A Cool Name

Image and sound were crystal clear for me using Media Player Classic and ffdshow / K-Lite Codec Pack 4.8.0.