Ritchiejames

Let's Play Alpha Centauri?

112 posts in this topic

for your future use you can edit the "Alpha Centauri.ini" this way.

add to the 'Latest Save=' line the path it should have: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri\saves

please edit the drive letter if your game is not installed in your C drive.

this way when you try to save a game the pop-up window will show the saves folder.

after the edit the line should look like this:

Latest Save=(drive letter):\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri\saves

looks good. give me some time to take a closer look.

ah! and i just saw that you have Alien Crossfire too. i don't think you mentioned that before .

so you manage to find where the game is placing your saves?

Yea dude, it took me ages...lol:) Im playing just SMAC but yea i do have SMAX too:)

this is where you landed:

4063830589_0af3d0e3bf_o.jpg

please notice the coordinates of you landing site: (29,51) - see image.

not always is a good idea to settle you first base in the landing site.

the square beneath your base cannot be improved latter so you must choose carefully.

please load the game and study a little the terrain and tell me where do you think we should deploy our colony pod (give me the coordinates).

:facepalm:

wait a minute! you just waisted 15 turns looking for a good spot. you can't do that. no way! :nonono:

just think of all things the other factions did during that time.

this is SP and you may be lucky and get away with that, but in MP this is suicide :death:

you should place your first base within the first 3 turns otherwise you'll give the other factions a big advantage.

also we must consider that you found out the location of the jungle and that's a big advantage because of the rich nutrient resources it is offering. this could be a spoiler for the rest of the game, but you're a beginner so let's just overlook that.

we must go back to the first save. reopen it and turn on the 'Pause at end of turn' option in the Preferences menu:

4064147513_b19b868177_o.jpg

this way the game will stop when all the units have moved and you'll have to hit the 'End Turn' button to advance to the next turn. this is important because you'll have the chance to check the base screen to be sure you placed your production and hurry orders.

...and tell me where do you think we should deploy our colony pod (give me the coordinates).

i was referring here only at the visible squares in the picture. so you must choose one of them.

Hi Dan, Yea thats great avice mate thankyou:). So the most important thing is not waste anymore than say 3-4 moves to establish my base. I suppose it all comes down to luck on where you land on planet. I will do as above dude, and post the save when i have established my first base dude. Thanks mate this is REALLY great advice:).

Ritchie

So the most important thing is not waste anymore than say 3-4 moves to establish my base...

:yes:

I suppose it all comes down to luck on where you land on planet.

not really, starting position in SP is not random, but the game does a poor job at choosing it. :q:

on higher difficulty levels you can find yourself surrounded by 2-3 factions with no room for expansion and you'll have to fight for (almost) every tile of land. :bandana:

however, in MP games, you can have fair starting positions for all the factions, but more on that, later.

Hi dude, Ok so i have done what you said, and i have established our first base. I have not built anything yet:). It also said that the gaiains have been eliminated!!!!:). See what you think Dan.Thanks Mate,

Ritchie

Dan And Ritchies First Base.SAV

ok. so you choosed to move the colony pod to (31,49) and build your first base there

4071080175_b001a62369.jpg

this will give you 2(nutrients)-1(mineral)-2(energy) resources in the base square

4071080223_aeb9639133.jpg

i would like to know the reasoning behind this move as the only advantage gained as far as i can see is the new 'flat and rainy' tile in the base radius.

Hi dude, i just thought this may be the best square in the 3-4 tile raduis. Where would you move it to Dan?.

Ritchie:)

actually by moving it to (31,49) you are:

- completely loosing access to sea resources.

- making your HQ more vulnerable to worm attacks (3 fungus squares against 1 at the landing site).

- making it invulnerable to naval attacks (which is a very good thing in MP, but almost useless when playing against the AIs).

when choosing a base site, you should also be aware that besides rivers, special resources and landmarks nothing else can improve the output of the base tile.

rivers give you +1 energy, bonus resources will add +2 to the respective output. for landmarks take a look at the Datalinks (shortcut key F1) and look for 'Landmarks, Volcanos, etc' under the 'Basic Concepts' category.

so if you don't have one of those in sight (which is not our case here), you are stuck with a 2-1-2 output regardless of the terrain type.

considering all the above, my choice will be the river square at (28,52)

Hi Dan, Yea i see your point and its a VERY good one. Ok i shall move it to those cord's. Im glad your helping me Dude.Im glad your here to help me through this amazing game.Im sorry if it seems frustrating at times:), but we all have to start somewhere:). Glad your helping dude,truly:).

Ritchie:)

Im sorry if it seems frustrating at times, but we all have to start somewhere

it's ok. you're not the first person i'm teaching this game, but this time everything will be posted on the net, so maybe it can help other people too.

Let's Play? Are there any really good "Let's Play Alpha Centauri" videos out there? If not, then what resources do we need to produce one?

One of the "beginner's guide" things that really improves gameplay, is Vel's strategy guide. Of course, you need know the basics, but once the basics are known, Vel takes you from Citizen to Transcend difficulty in about an hour of reading.

I am missing the story of Alpha Centauri in the video in post #2--the storyline and setting are key elements to the Alpha Centauri experience. Most good "Let's Play" commentaries carry a deep fondness of the game without any need to rush anything. The best of them even make you appreciate bugs and poor design decisions.

Maybe a "Let's Play" could be a 2 player game with 5 AIs instead of a single player game. I imagine--in any event--that the later parts of the game should be condensed; noone wants to watch 10-30 minutes of micro management.

Finally, the "just one more turn" aspect of Alpha Centauri (as well as the Civ series in general) should be a focal point in a Let's Play.

Ritchie doesn't seem to be around anymore. :(

Are there any really good "Let's Play Alpha Centauri" videos out there?

not really.

If not, then what resources do we need to produce one?

the only resource needed is someone that has the time and will to do it in a proper manner. the software can be found on the internet and it's freeware.

[...]

the only resource needed is someone that has the time and will to do it in a proper manner. the software can be found on the internet and it's freeware.

Can you be more specific on the software? I have no idea what software to use.

A few things:

• Has anyone tried Jing (free version)?
  • Is it normal to only being able to record less than 5 minutes (doesn't sound promising for a Alpha Centauri gameplay, but I may be missing something)?
  • Does Jing capture sound?
  • The impression I get from the presentation video suggests Jing installing a lot of crap on my machine...

I've tried FRAPS in the past, and I was not happy with the free version.

• Has anyone tried Jing (free version)? I did but only used it to take screenshots

• Is it normal to only being able to record less than 5 minutes (doesn't sound promising for a Alpha Centauri gameplay, but I may be missing something)? I seem to remember it's 5min. A few of these should be enough to give someone enough about getting started in SMAC.

• Does Jing capture sound? The exemple in my links has the voice of the guy

• The impression I get from the presentation video suggests Jing installing a lot of crap on my machine... Can't help you about that. I don't know what it does to a computer, am just an end-user. I'm just happy I have an antivirus preventing it to mess too much.