Solver

Welcome to the Alpha Centauri section!

37 posts in this topic

Welcome!

The most important thing you should know is that we want you here, participating. Get involved in the conversation, please. Post questions, comments, anything about AC you wish. We'll treat you with respect and take care of you.

We at WePlayCiv have Alpha Centauri among the games we officially cover and that is for a good reason. We've always been impressed by how the SMAC community has maintained activity and its passion for the game over so many years. It also remains one of my favorite games, it's the only other Civ game that I have played since Civ4's release.

Our site is all about the community, so go ahead and voice your suggestions. In these early days, it's very much a work in progress but we hope that you'll be able to enjoy yourself. For now, we have a download section with a SMAC section, feel free to peruse its files or add some of your own. We'll be adding wiki software to the site soon so we can start to add info pages about SMAC.

While you're here, please keep in mind the most essential rule of our forums - no insults or other personal attacks against other posters. If you have any problems while in the SMAC section, feel free to write to any of the moderators or administrators.

Let's make this the best place for Alpha Centauri forums that this can be. I'm looking forward to a friendly and informative community!

Solver,

WePlayCiv Co-Administrator

Addendum: 26 April 2010

Please note that any advertising of WPC on other forums is not sanctioned by the Administrators of WPC. Members are able to link to information on our site, or to player resources such as the Wiki, GotM or PBEM requests, but direct advertising is not endorsed.

Thanks

Addendum: 13 May 2010

We are removing our ban on the posting of modified exes such as the Unofficial Patch for SMAC/X. Please feel free to discuss anything related to modified exes and upload them to the file database for others to enjoy.

Thanks

Edited by Buster's Uncle
Putting words in Solver's mouth.

Thanks, Solver!

I've been a member of both the 'poly, CGN and the CFC SMAC forums for years ('poly and CGN since December 2005 and CFC since May 2006).

I am a CMN.

I am a member of the Data Angels in AC Demogame 3 at 'poly and organized AC Demogames 4, 5 and 6.

I like to extend my own welcome to both the people I've met before and to every newcomer.

1 person likes this

I am a prolific noob whose focus is graphics, especially faction graphics with a lot of interest in the backgrounds and ideas of the factions thrown in.

I too, want to welcome all to the Playground.

Edited by Buster's Uncle

Welcome to the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire section! I am the Provost of the University of WPC faction.

Hello everyone, i'm new to Civ/SMAC forums in general, but have been playing SMAC since about 2000/01. in the last few weeks, these forums have been very helpful and i would like to thank everyone for all of the info you've made available!

hi, i noticed you don't have an avatar yet. maybe you find something you like here.

also feel free to start a new thread if you want to publish your art here.

and don't be afraid to duplicate threads. we all did it once .. at least .. ;)

Thanks, ill have a look at what's going. yep i'll post my stuff up, as it comes...

hello :) larrin you are being welcomed by someone who joined well after you witch means despite the sticky this thread has not caught on.

Hi Mullet, er... welcome ;)

I did notice someone saying that about stickied threads somewhere else recently...

Didn't see any kind of introduction/welcoming thread anywhere, but I have only been browsing around this forum for maybe an hour. Decided to introduce myself.

I have been on an old school game trip recently. Probably due to the fact I have butt loads of free time from being laid off. I started playing Alpha Centauri again a week ago, and remembered how interesting it was. So anyways, I was looking around on the internet to see if there was anything game related. Came across this site, and that's why I am here now.

I consider myself an ok player, probably got nothing on people that have played this game competitively though. Would be interesting to try a multiplayer game, since I have never played a multiplayer game of Alpha Centauri. Would probably have to be TCP/IP though I seriously doubt i have the patience for a play by E-mail those types of games take far too long in my experiences with other games.

Not really sure what else to say so I am going to stop typing now.

Edited by bdanv
merged threads

Welcome to the SMAC forum Imagine a Cool Name. There is a forum for SMAC Multiplaying which can be found here. I'm not a multiplayer but I know that there are others that are. If you are interested, there are also other games available for SMAC here such as the Game of the Month and the Demo Games. You can find links to the two current Games of the Month and the DG in my sig.

There are quite a few posters with far more experience in Alpha Centauri than I have (I've only been playing it for a couple of months). All of them are very helpful and will probably either have the answers to any questions that you may have or that they will know who will have the answer. Good Luck and Happy SMAC-ing.

That covers it pretty well. Welcome to the Playground, Cool. It's always good to meet another SMACer.

Thanks to you both, I spend the afternoon playing the UNSA game. I might give the other a try in a day or 2.

welcome to the most active SMAC community on the Web, Cool!

don't know why, but your handle reminds me of another SMACer that used to post here some time ago.

Didn't see any kind of introduction/welcoming thread anywhere, but I have only been browsing around this forum for maybe an hour. Decided to introduce myself.

i will merge these posts into the 'Welcome..' thread if you don't mind..

I have added the following addendum:

Addendum: 26 April 2010

Please note that any advertising of WPC on other forums is not sanctioned by the Administrators of WPC. Members are able to link to information on our site, or to player resources such as the Wiki, GotM or PBEM requests, but direct advertising is not endorsed.

Thanks

Edited by Dale

@ Dale

I assume that similar posts/addenda will be included or have been included on the other civ series forums on WPC :nod:

...I'd swear that that sounds like you guys are telling me what to do at other sites...

No, they're saying that they just don't want to get in trouble about it. They're making the fairly self evident statement that they don't send us out on advertising runs at other sites.

The day they start banning WPC members who advertise on other sites is the day I have a problem with this rule.

I don't expect that would ever occur, though.

Hmm, I'd change the last word from allowed to endorsed. That makes it clear that WPC doesn't seek to control your activities off-site.

Ok the last word changed to endorsed. Much better. :)

As for why this is necessary? There was a complaint from another site where they believed WPC members were advertising our forums on WPC Administration orders. I just want it to be clear that we do not endorse advertising on any forum by our members.

We do encourage linking to information here that may help discussions at other sites, but not straight out advertising. :)