Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

Petek

SMACX Links

24 posts in this topic

Over the years I've built a collection of URLs for SMACX sites. I thought others might want to check them out. I omitted Apolyton and CivFanatics, assuming that everyone already know about them. These links were (mostly) valid as of the date (May 1, 2009) of this post. I also will add other links to this post to keep everything in one place.

civ.org.pl. This Polish site is run by LoD, who used to post on Apolyton. This site also has a forum for Alpha Centauri, but most posts are in Polish. However, I note that our own vyeh posted a link to Vel's guide. Way to go vyeh!

Civilization Webring Forum. This German site has several MP games in progress. Perhaps one of our German speakers could post a link to our site?

Les Guetteurs Sur Alpha Centauri. This site is in French (Don't worry, English sites are coming!). I can't tell when it was last updated. There's a non-working link to a forum.

Gamespot Forum for Alpha Centauri. In English, as promised. vyeh also posted here!

GameSpot's coverage of Alpha Centauri. Most of the information is outdated, but Brian Reynold's designer notes still hold interest.

GameSpot's Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri game guide. As vyeh pointed out, this SMAC guide appears on the site shown in the previous paragraph, but might be overlooked.

D. Melamoud's Strategy Guide. Included for the sake of completeness. There's a better guide somewhere on this forum. :winkiss:

EDIT: The above link probably won't work because gamespot.com doesn't allow direct links to its site from other sites. If you receive such an error message, there are two ways to access the page:

* Copy the link to the clipboard and paste it into your browser's address bar.

* Add the link to your Favorites/Bookmarks and access the link from there.

Nethog's Game Page. Contains some charts and such about Alpha Centauri.

The SMAC Academy. Contains several strategy articles, especially useful for the less experienced player. Also contains more advanced articles on the Scenario Editor (by Googlie) and editing Alpha(x).txt by Rubin/Darsnan.

Civilization Gaming Network. The CGN forums include two subforums for Alpha Centauri. Not so active now, but the past threads in the General/Help/Strategy forum are a good read. vyeh has also posted here about Vel's Guide.

The Planetary Datalinks. This site, run by girlfight_club (who used to post on Apolyton) doesn't appear to have been updated recently. Lots of interesting downloads and links, though.

I attached a file (strategyguide.zip) that contains a genuine copy of version 3 of Vel's strategy guide to SMACX. The prior link was of dubious origin.

This link point to version 2 of Vel's Strategy Guide, just in case you'd like to compare the different versions.

That's it. Please feel free to add additional links to other SMACX material.

Petek

strategyguide.zip

Edited by Petek
Change link for Vel's Guide; Make corrections and add content

Now that's a resource. Petek, you handsome Olmec stud, you- You rock.

Grrr....don't remind me 'bout the whole Chamberlain mess. Guy approaches me and wants to "incorporate my notes" into his own.

Come to find out, he wrote a brief introduction and stuck it onto v. 3 of the guide, and then passed it off as a collaborative work. :(

Ah well...water under the bridge at this point.

But the list is superb! :)

-=Vel=-

BU -- Thanks.

Vel -- Sorry, I didn't know there was a problem with my link to that particular version of your guide. I deleted the link and instead uploaded what I believe to be your own work.

Finally, here's a link to Vel's Strat Guide - Version 2.0, undoubtedly the genuine stuff!

Petek

oh, no problem at all...that was between me and Mr. Chamberlain, and is water under the bridge in any case. Keep it or no, as you like. :)

-=Vel=-

Over the years I've built a collection of URLs for SMACX sites. I thought others might want to check them out. I omitted Apolyton and CivFanatics, assuming that everyone already know about them. These links were valid as of the date (May 1, 2009) of this post.

[...]

GameSpot's coverage of Alpha Centauri. Most of the information is outdated, but Brian Reynold's designer notes still hold interest.

D. Melamoud's Strategy Guide. Included for the sake of completeness. There'a a better guide somewhere on this forum. :winkiss:

[...]

Very interesting!

I would like to present some preliminary thoughts in this regard:

Historians may want to archive everything... but regarding SMAC/X: What is really interesting and what is really just junk? Outdated information is, in my oppinion, junk, but the Brian Reynolds' notes could be golden keepers.

People have different oppinions, but isn't Vel's guide the ultimate resource considering "guides"? The "for the sake of completeness" is very dangerous to me, because we can archive all sorts of stuff--and where the "player" would find usefulness in the quality guides, the "archivist" or "historian" would find equal value in simply every bit of information available... for completeness sake.

What does the SMAC/X community crave? Could we poll items for a repository? Or settle on a group of capable judges to decide for us?

There's a real concern here, and a real need.

I apologize for this being somewhat off-topic. I'll start a new thread if required.

I dunno- I think you raise a valid point, and where better to discuss?

I dunno- I think you raise a valid point' date=' and where better to discuss?[/quote']

Agreed -- Let me sleep on it.

Petek

Very interesting!

I would like to present some preliminary thoughts in this regard:

Historians may want to archive everything... but regarding SMAC/X: What is really interesting and what is really just junk? Outdated information is, in my oppinion, junk, but the Brian Reynolds' notes could be golden keepers.

People have different oppinions, but isn't Vel's guide the ultimate resource considering "guides"? The "for the sake of completeness" is very dangerous to me, because we can archive all sorts of stuff--and where the "player" would find usefulness in the quality guides, the "archivist" or "historian" would find equal value in simply every bit of information available... for completeness sake.

What does the SMAC/X community crave? Could we poll items for a repository? Or settle on a group of capable judges to decide for us?

There's a real concern here, and a real need.

I apologize for this being somewhat off-topic. I'll start a new thread if required.

After thinking about this issue, I'm in favor of posting most SMACX-related links and letting the community decide what has value and what has not. I did omit one link in my bookmarks because the site in question contains an embargoed file (you probably can guess which).

Petek

Petek, you might consider GameSpot's Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri game guide as a separate entry. It can be reached from your GameSpot link, but it might be missed.

I had this link in my original draft, but took it out since it was included in the other link. However, it is now posted. Or were you perhaps thinking that I should update my OP to reflect additions, keeping everything in one place?

Petek

I was thinking that you update the OP, so people wouldn't have to read through the whole thread.

I was thinking that you update the OP, so people wouldn't have to read through the whole thread.

Okay, sounds good to me. I'll wait for a day or so, in case anyone else wants to comment.

Petek

the link to

D. Melamoud's Strategy Guide.

Doesn't work. I get redirected to an External Link Disallowed page.

Welcome, GooglyBoogly!

the link to

D. Melamoud's Strategy Guide.

Doesn't work. I get redirected to an External Link Disallowed page.

Quite correct. I missed this in my testing because I first visited the site via a bookmark (which apparently doesn't count as an "external link"). Then when accessing the page via a link from this website, I must've been reading the page from cache. One way to fix is to copy the URL into your browser's address bar. I'll update the original post shortly.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Petek

Just wanted to point out that I edited my original post to add links that were mentioned in subsequent posts, and to add instructions about how to access one of the original links.

Petek

Topped, hopefully until with Petek approves its integration into a new FAQ thread.

Of course I agree to incorporating this into a FAQ.

Petek

...should be incorporated into the wiki!

I'll look into doing so, but I'm short of mental energy right now.

Petek

I'll look into doing so, but I'm short of mental energy right now.

Petek

I'll have a look at it. Revision and/or clean-up may be for later.

[Edit] Links added here. I hope this works.

Edited by Rubin