Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

El_Cid

Interesting New game news

629 posts in this topic

heh, assembler.

At uni we had to write a whole program in assembler, for the first programming course. Fun times!

My first assignment was Fortran on punchcards.

lol.

My uncle-in-law studied computer engineering about 20-25 years ago, and all of his programs were done in punch cards. It's amazing how fast technology has progressed.

I used Basic, most of the games at the time had to be hand typed in. And yes i know this isn't that Monty Python sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JK5kChbRw

As i started to make my own games i had to 'borrow' bits of assembly from other games to speed up graphics routines! It was all greek to me, as programing in general still is! :)

And in relation to Notchs new game, i just love the crazy ambition of it. Apparantly he is already teaching kids programing via minecraft(something about using the game world to build logic gates etc?) and this is a next step to helping the poor 'dumbed down' console consumers of tomorrow break free.....or something like that ;) This is the kind of game why i love the new era of indie gaming so much (even if i turn out to be not a good enough programmer to play it properly!) :nod:

Didn't see a thread for this (i know PiMan sometimes posts them):

http://www.humblebundle.com/

The latest Humble bundle which includes the new game Botanicula :b:

Now i know you can pay 'what you want' on these humble-bundle things, so if you have already got this game from GoG (where it was for 8.99 pre-order, now 9.99), you might be a bit miffed.

I got it from both to get the full soundtrack, help the forrests, support a great indie dev, and to support both awesome DD options (Humblebundle and GoG). I paid a little less on the humble bundle than i would usually (as i have machinarium etc), and am just so happy this game lives up to my expectations. It's a real work of art and will leave you with a silly smile on your face while you explore it's world. Just awesomely lovely and good for everyone of all ages :b: Maybe my favourite indie game so far? Certainly in my top five.

So humble bundle or GoG, either or both is a great option for this charming game :)

I guess if you didn't want Botanicula, then yes ;) But this is a new game release bundle, the first time they did one like that, so i guess that comes with a premium?

Still if you liked the feel+atmosphere of Machinarium (or other Aminata releases), you will love Botanicula. The puzzles are less difficult maybe (although i'm currently stuck!), but the game is super lovely.

The second bundle came with a pre-order of Splot, and I'm not sure if that has been released yet. Also with Cortex Command which is still in beta after all this time. It is not new for humble bundles to have very new games.

Well Cortex Command had been around already for a while ;) But this was a day-one release of a brand new title, which is kind of weird i would suggest? I certainly wouldn't want most/many of the players that will buy my game paying $1 for it right away. I think they should (Aminata) maybe have kept with the original release on GoG and other DD services first, atleast for a few months, then looked to do a humble offer then.

I'm sure they will do ok anyway, it's seemed to be quite popular and people have been generous on the humble offer. But yeah it was an odd release strategy that did upset a number of those that had pre-paid on the other DD services, but well, these things happen.

I thought the latest bundle released at least some days after the game became available on GOG (for download). But no matter; adventure games were only ever an added bonus in the bundles from my perspective, as I'd always bought the bundles for the other games

Well it was more an AAR with a concluding 'review' type ending. Brian Rubin is a serious space game buff, i'm sure you will find his site awesome Spaced :nod:

I've been lothe to jump at Distant Worlds for a long while now. Mainly as at first, before the patches and expansions, it was pretty broken (no surprise for a virtual solo indie effort!), and i followed a number of player lead discussions about how infuriating those bugs were. So i waited for things to get fixed, and we are now on the third expansion pack.

And here is the kicker, you need all three to get the 'best' game, and they are only available on Matrix games site and all together will cost you around $70. I'd need a game to be just about perfect to drop that kind of cash on it. If i had no other games to play then sure, for the genre etc, i'd probably bite. But still, i can't help thinking that the NZ guys at Codeforce could make a whole lot more money if they put the game out on other channals, even at cheaper prices.

I'll get it eventually for sure, it sounds too awesome to miss out on, but i can wait a bit more as it gets better all the time, and maybe there will be a bundle at some time?

Hmm...

Sarcasm lost on El Cid.

I have Spacegamejunkie bookmarked and have had it bookmarked for quite some time.

Also been wanting to get DW, but US cost is ~$80 for all three (main game and 2 expansions). There is a 3rd expansion in the works as well.

I've also watched some Utube videos of game play (about 3 hours worth).

Unfortunately, I do not think this game will ever get any cheaper. Matrix does not seem to put their titles on sale...ever.

Thanks for the link El_Cid! :b:

I'll keep an eye on this one, but I'm far too busy with CK2 to get another game for the forseeable future.....

Hmm...

Sarcasm lost on El Cid.

I have Spacegamejunkie bookmarked and have had it bookmarked for quite some time.

Also been wanting to get DW, but US cost is ~$80 for all three (main game and 2 expansions). There is a 3rd expansion in the works as well.

I've also watched some Utube videos of game play (about 3 hours worth).

Unfortunately, I do not think this game will ever get any cheaper. Matrix does not seem to put their titles on sale...ever.

;) Well for a moment i thought maybe you were Brian Rubin, so i was...erm...trying to find a diplomatic way to avoid saying so (just in case you wanted the fact hidden etc). So yeah not so much lost sarcasm as me feeling i might have stumbled where i should not :)

@ Rob, ah yes CK2, i've still got that game at the top of my 'to get list', i understand what your saying :b:

Nope, I be not Brian Rubin, just am another space game junkie. However, I prefer 4x space games whilst Brian seems to like them and low level shooter types. I do not really care for those that much (yes I mean you SPAZ).

Endless Space

As I've wandered the Internet, I've been hearing nothing but good things about this new game. It's a 4x, turn-based game. I saw one post saying it's now 25% off on Steam. Below, is a pre-release review I spotted:

Heads up people, a new 4X space game will be arriving to town, soon. Endless Space is its name and it sounds like a very promising title currently under development by Amplitude Studios, a recently founded game development company with a “create the best strategy games!” moto.

“We definitely want to inherit the values of: Master of Orion, Civilization and to some extent Total War all of that with a strong focus on Multiplayer. ~Amplitude Dev Team

Endless Space seems to have it all. A compelling story, which features an ancient super civilization, several factions to choose from, a big emphasis on discovery (powerful artifacts left from precursors), luxuries and strategic resources management, a tech-tree system, trade, diplomacy, state-of-the-art graphics, modular spaceship design, customized civilizations setup, an innovative and dynamic simultaneous turn-based gameplay, multiplayer, different victory conditions, an hero-character system with unique ability trees and specializations… Check here for all about the features and all other game info. There’s an interesting thread in Amplitude’s forums that talks a great deal about the game design features also. I strongly recommend you check it out!

The game follows a community-driven development approach: the Games2Gether platform. In fact and apparently the same team that is developing Endless Space is behind such platform. Endless Space is as it seems its first experiment. The idea behind this community platform is for players to take part in the game developement process without the need to code. At first glance it seemed like essentially a different flavor for alpha funding, with community participation and goodies involved.

I’m not found of making direct comparisons and cheesy statements but in this case I think Endless Space may be the 4X space strategy game we were looking for next. Stunning graphics, an interesting background-story, an innovative turn-based gameplay model, lot’s of depth apparently. It surely looks promising. I couldn’t find a release date but judging from their progress info they seem to be half-way through alpha phase with about 80% of the game done.

I've been very tempted to pre-purchase this. I've never done that before.

It does look very interesting, even the idea of the Games2Gether thing....which I take as meaning the company plan to produce more games in the future....shame I do not have enough fund to support them as I would be tempted to otherwise....mind you my last effort at supporting an indie has still nto seen the final fruit (yet), but it's nearly there I reckon (Xenonauts)