Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

Nikolai

Europa Universalis IV - Shaping up fine

548 posts in this topic

And yeah, I know about the Norway thing (in my game), that is on the agenda right after I get my homelands in control.

Norway usually ends up as someone's *****. :p:lol:

So after Lubeck was conquered I was looking around and realized that the Lubeck node was now the richest trade node, and if I moved my capital to that node then I'd be able to spawn the next institution (Global Trade) in 1600 (or it would spawn in Hamburg or Bremen, which are on my borders). If I was on the ball better I could have saved the 200 diplomatic points I'd spent to move my trade capital there first, but then if I hadn't moved my trade capital maybe I wouldn't have conquered Lubeck so soon. I don't know. In any case I moved my country capital to Lubeck. Alas when Global Trade came up it started in London. They'd managed to sneak the English Channel node back up to .2 ducats more than Lubeck right before the institution spawned. :mad:

The HRE event to stop the League War also spawned...in 1592. Not only did the start of the League War event spawn late in the game (1560-something), the event to end it without a war spawned super early. I'd never seen it spawn before 1600 before. So the HRE is now officially Catholic, which means that I don't have to worry about accidentally becoming emperor during my quest to dissolve the HRE. Because most of the northern and central HRE became Protestant there were only a few potential electors left and two of them were in Spain's back pocket so he became emperor. This was good for me though, since it would mean I could keep Austria as an ally, and two of the three electors (Holland and Munster) were on my borders and allied to Spain. All I needed to do was take care of Switzerland (an OPM by now) and give that province to Austria in a war, and Switzerland was allied to one of my neighbors.

So I started that war and gave Switzerland away, but Spain still had one more potential elector up their sleeve in Memmingen, they had just declined to make them an elector before. Unfortunately Memmingen is not allied to anyone right now and they don't border me so the only way I can start a war with them is a no-CB war, though that would have the boon of calling in Spain to the war too, and hopefully their allies. I've been contemplating it. It would cause a 2 stability hit, as well as 35 AE hit without even taking anything, but it would likely bring in the emperor and all three electors into a war at the same time, which is ultimately what I want. To dissolve the HRE you have to control all of the electors one way or another (through occupying their provinces in a war, or them being a vassal or ally of me) and then occupying the capital of the HRE, and then hitting the button to dissolve it. The only bad thing about Spain now being the emperor is that the capital of the HRE is now all the way down in Toledo in the middle of the Iberian peninsula. Spain also has a ton of troops and manpower thanks to the Iberian wedding incorporating Aragon and Naples, the HRE bonuses to manpower and force limit, and taking quantity ideas.

I haven't been able to bring myself to start that war quite yet, but I'm still pondering it. With Austria and Brandenburg's help (as well as Sweden and severely weakened Burgundy, my PU and vassal respectively) I outnumber them in troop count, but Spain's manpower reserve is over 100k right now, while my max is at 38k (I haven't been pushing manpower cap since I've been using a lot of mercs) and Austria has almost none right now after getting out of a war with France.

So I'm basically on the verge of wrapping up the campaign. The two achievements I want are dissolving the HRE, which involves a really big war, and 50 mercs with no loans. I have 40 mercs right now, with positive income and 11k ducats in the bank so that would be no problem to get up to 50. I've just been cautiously expanding my merc count so I don't deplete the available mercs if I decide to go to war with Spain to dissolve the HRE.

Edited by Rhoth

You just want me to die a fiery death for my Norway comment. :p;)

What? Nooooooo.......:cute:

:lol:

As it turned out I couldn't anyway as my ruler died and then the consort died. And then Austria attacked Baden for a cleansing heresy CB and called me in against Spain. Unfortunately none of the electors were called in so I couldn't dissolve the HRE. And even more unfortunately Austria actually did make them Catholic again instead of taking the province for themselves, so now there is another potential elector. :rant:

I decided to do it up right instead of declaring a no CB war. Austria returned Baden to Catholic and they became an elector again, and I was leery of declaring the no CB war on Memmingen and then not having all of the electors come in. Taking a 2 stab hit, 35 AE without even conquering a province, and 2 war exhaustion would be a high price to pay if I couldn't even dissolve the HRE in the war.

However a new route turned up as Baden started voting for themselves and Memmingen joined them. I figured if I could get at least one of Spain's ally electors out of the game (either conquer them or force them to be Protestant) then Baden would become the emperor and that would be a super easy war. I declared a proxy war on one of Munster's allies, and then during that war forced Munster to turn Protestant. I then figured I might as well do that to Holland as well so that once Baden became emperor there were only two electors left and they were both allied to each other.

Declaring war on Holland meant tangling with Spain though. They were also allied with Austria, but I was involved in a war with Austria that they had declared (Austria went war happy after losing the title of emperor) over reconquest of Gorz from Venice so I could safely declare. I sieged down Holland's forts and kept an eye out for Spanish troops but none arrived. Then the war with Venice ended and suddenly Austria decided they'd honor Holland's call, so my long-term ally suddenly became my enemy and I was at war with both Austria and Spain (along with Holland and mini-Scotland) all alone. I outnumbered Austria though and still no Spanish troops had arrived so I turned around the forces marching on Spain and started sieging down Austria. He put his entire force on one of my level 4 forts so I had free reign to siege down his west and quickly put him out of the war, though it had ended our alliance.

I had a better alliance waiting in the wings though as France was friendly now (they were rivals with Austria) and wanted an alliance as soon as I got out of the war. I headed on down to Spain and started sieging his forts and still no troops. It turns out he had completely stripped his core of troops for another war in Africa and they were all still down there, or somewhere else. :eek: I fought exactly one battle against Spanish troops (a 9 stack) and sieged down his entire Iberian core and was working on his Italian cores to do a humiliation and war reps and all of his money, while Sweden worked on sieging down Scotland for me (I took the Orkney Islands so I have an entry into the British isles if I want it in the future, since England is one of my rivals). I ended the war with both Scotland and Spain and then forced Holland to become Protestant, removing them as an elector. Then I allied France of course. :D

Now I just had to wait until Baden became the emperor and then declare that no CB war on only the two remaining electors, one the emperor, and both OPMs and I'd have the achievement.

Or so I thought...

After the war with Spain/Holland I settled in to wait a bit by kicking Norway out of Europe. :D I was originally intending to just try to take their colonial nation of Vinland in Canada, but I couldn't do that so I settled for taking their remaining core provinces, as well as Iceland and their last island province. Their new capital is in north America. ;)

Then Austria decided to try to mess up my plans yet again by declaring war on Baden (and Memmingen via alliance). When they conquered and took Memmingen outright I got a little leary. I wasn't sure what would happen if all of the electors were suddenly gone. Would the HRE dissolve without me being the one to click the button, thereby denying me the achievement? I didn't know. I had a truce with Austria so I couldn't declare war on them directly even though I bordered them, and they only had one alliance left in Albania. But they were protecting Alsace and my vassal Burgundy had a claim. Alsace would bring in a bunch of other HRE nations, but that was okay. So yes I declared war on Alsace just to keep Austria from occupying Baden. ;)

Since half of the remaining HRE (except for the emperor Spain) was involved in the war I would be peace-locked with them after the war, which meant I decided to throw caution to the wind and take a bunch of provinces in the various peace deals, even at the cost of diplo points (which I had an excess of). The war wasn't easy as I didn't have a gigantic superiority of numbers, and I did lose a few battles, but ultimately my forces carried the day. I also merced up the final 15 I needed to hit 50 merc regiments for that achievement.

In all I conquered three OPMs (Friesland, Trier and Alsace), one province from Brabant (leaving them two), one province from Bohemia (leaving them two), and two provinces from Austria (so that I now bordered Baden). Everyone in the HRE intensely hates me now with the exception of Brandenburg, who actually has almost 80 AE with me now too, though they remain my ally. Even with that high number, after the war no one who isn't peace locked was willing to join a coalition because they would have no shot of winning a war. I'm stronger than the rest of the core HRE combined (once Spain is no longer the emperor), plus I'm allied with a strong France.

Right now I'm working on a claim on Baden and as soon as I have that I will declare war. I don't think that will call in Spain, but I can vassalize Baden instead of conquering them, which means I will control the sole remaining elector for that requirement. I am rivaled to Spain so I can then just declare a humiliation war against them once our peace is gone and then all I have to do is occupy Toledo and I can dissolve the HRE.

I'm not positive if I will end it there or not. The game is still in the early 1600s. There is still technically one more achievement I could do if I really, really want to go all out conquer...Mare Nostrum, which is restoring the Roman Empire, which involves conquering a ton of provinces, including most of France and Spain, and a bunch from the Ottomans. Not sure I really want to do that with this game or not. Starting as Castile would be a much easier way to accomplish that since I currently own almost none of the required provinces. We'll see. I may go try out Ceylon again and hit my head against a wall that way instead. ;)

Back in North America, Norway plots revenge and conquers the natives, slowly building a strong United States of Norwegian America that welcomes all enemies of Rhoth.

Make Norway great again! :cute:

Darn right we will! :D Coincidentally, "trump" in Norwegian has several meanings. It can mean "big, heavy and stiff being", "difficult person", "gunstock" (!), but it can also mean "coercion". Fun fact, eh? :D

Heh. Sounds apt.

In my previous game the Commonwealth was run by Trumpian politics: Attack everyone and who cares about the consequences. :D

And done. Baden allied Spain so all it took was declaring war on Baden. I crushed them and their OPM allies in the north, occupied their lands, and then headed down to Spain. After a few quick sieges (having a 4 pip siege leader is quite nice) I crushed their army and occupied Toledo. Click! HRE is gone.

Probably not going to continue the game. All of my focus has been in the north and the Mare Nostrum achievement requires heavy focus in the Mediterranean. It would be better to start as Castile or Aragon to get that achievement.

Thinking about doing a few easy achievements I've been ignoring so that they don't keep showing up in my possible achievements list.

Good idea. :b: And congarats on destroying the HRE!

Played a few really quick games for some achievements that tend to show up as available on all games. The one to get your dynasty on the throne of 8 nations literally took about 5 minutes (start as France and release vassals, then change them over). I also did the one to form a colonial nation, then release and play as the colony and vassalize the former overlord. It's fairly easy too, just play as one of the OPMs of the Spice Islands and colonize Australia. I basically had the game on speed 5 and did nothing except colonize until the colony formed into a nation, and taking over an OPM former overlord isn't difficult.

Then I decided to try my hand at Ceylon again. :D

This time though I got the start I was looking for. In other words Vijayanagar didn't attack me within 5 years of the start of the game. I went in with the plan of just trying to survive long enough to start colonizing and then try to build up a power base in the Malacca area and move my capital there if I had to, and then come back when I was stronger. I did attack the Maldives again and conquered it, but as per usual Vijayanagar was hostile to me and warned me not to attack any of the OPMs on the southern tip of India, nor could I attack their vassal that shared the island of Ceylon with me. I did manage to gain Orissa as an ally, and was working on Bahmanis, but just as I finally secured the royal marriage that would bump me up high enough in regard to secure a full alliance with Bahmanis they rivaled Orissa and then wouldn't accept the alliance. :rant:

But that turned out to be a giant boon. Within a few months Vijayanagar attacked Bahmanis, and if I'd been their ally I would have been pulled into the war and probably ruined. They fought for a while, going back and forth with occupations, but ultimately it looked like Vijayanagar was going to eventually win, but be hurt in the process, hopefully enough where I could start my colonization unhindered. I went merrily along and finally unlocked exploration ideas with the intent to start colonizing. But then Orissa got into the act and declared war on one of Vijayanagar's allies. Now they had two wars going and after a bit they wouldn't enforce their warning against me if I attacked Venad, one of the OPMs that had no alliances. So I did that.

And then looked around and Vijayanagar was losing both of their wars now, had two stacks of rebels wandering about, their military had waned to barely more than my own, and their manpower was nearly zero. Eddie Mercury may have lived in Bombay, not Sri Lanka, but it was time to channel Queen and break free (of my island). I hid my fleet (they had naval superiority) and declared war on Vijayanagar and started occupying the war goal of Madurai (the province with the strait crossing into Ceylon). I also merced up a bit, going over my force limit and paying a good bit of extra money that I could only afford because I had recently taken all of Venad's money when I occupied them. Vijayanagar naturally winged its way directly toward me and ignored its other wars, but I was prepared and managed to catch him in a defensive (for me) province with a superior general and smashed him.

I also caught out half of his navy and smashed it for awhile until the other half showed up, then retreated to repair, then would poke out when he had only part of his navy blockading that province in order to do more damage until I was close to losing a ship and then retreat to heal up again. It cost a bit of war score, but I didn't lose ships and he did, which meant while I lost battles I was winning the attrition war, and eventually I killed one of his heavies and had naval superiority.

His army retreated behind a fort so I decided to head back onto Ceylon to harass his vassal's capital. For the peace deal I wanted I would need to siege down two forts, but he still had an army floating around and I didn't want to split mine to siege both at the same time. Ultimately though I managed to rid him of his army when he came back down into land I could reach, and then had free rein to siege wherever I could. Ultimately I settled for the peace deal I wanted: taking the vassal's province on Ceylon, Madurai and the province next to it (the latter two were both 20 development provinces, and next to a couple more 20 development provinces that held trade centers for my trade node).

That was just the beginning of my troubles though....

Edited by Rhoth

Apparently at some point Vijayanagar increased the autonomy in both of the 20 development provinces to 100. :mad: Which of course meant that even when fully cored the autonomy wouldn't drop down to 40 and would take forever to tick down to manageable. It also meant I couldn't do anything about the 20 unrest (:eek: my religious unity fell to 20%, along with the normal separatism and different culture/religion maluses) in each province and within a few months I had rebels to the tune of two stacks of 9 rise up. For reference my force limit was 8 at the time, because of the 100 autonomy, and I actually had 9 troops. Luckily they were two stacks not one, and the area that they were trying to liberate included a few provinces in Vijanagar so they kept crossing over there, allowing me an opportunity to take back the provinces. This continued for a bit, and then I lost a battle vs the rebels and had to retreat, losing most of the rest of my manpower. Vijayanagar also attacked the rebels on occasion which afforded me some time, but money and manpower were starting to become an issue again. Eventually I was able to catch one of the armies in favorable terrain with my good general and stackwiped it, which allowed me more time to rest up and then do the same for the other rebel army. Those rebels were very costly though. They did more damage to me than Vijayanagar's entire army in the war to take those two provinces.

Because of the low funds I couldn't start colonizing right away, but eventually things evened out a bit and I was able to start. I didn't have enough colonial range to go right to the province I wanted to start with (at the southern tip of the large island in Malacca where I would end up having neighbors to attack), so I colonized a small island to my east that would allow me to start claims on the northern tip of Pasai (in the same large island) which held a trade center for the Malacca node.

My manpower had stabilized now and I had secured another alliance with Malabar (a two province minor) and decided to attack the alliance of Kochin and Madurai (yes the nation of Madurai doesn't start in the province of Madurai), both of whom were my rivals. They had two other allies too, but one of them wouldn't help so ultimately we only had to face nations. It took a little while, but we won and I was able to peace out Madurai for their initial capital (he held another province that had defected to him from Vijanagar from the rebels earlier), humiliation and money, that third nation for money (we didn't share a border), and Kochin for full annexation and money. Things were looking up in the money department.

I settled in for a bit, fighting off the occasional rebels, including another large 2-stack of Madurai rebels that rose up, but again they split their time between me and Vijanagar and ultimately they just cost me money and manpower to destroy. My initial colony finished and I now had enough range to get into the main Malacca island. so I started colonizing there. My tech pace had slowed down as the Renaissance is of course not showing up in Ceylon very quickly. I thought about trying to use development to speed it along, but it was only giving me 1.5% pace for each development point, so I would have had to spend a ton of development to get it to appear.

Instead I bit the bullet a bit and teched up again, to level 7, in order to get my 2nd idea group. Initially I was planning on taking religious ideas, because a part of the Ceylon achievement is not only conquering all of India, but converting it to Therevada Buddhism. I just don't really care for the religious idea group very much though. It is decidedly average though. The permanent CB is decent, but I could also just forge claims. The final bit of 2% missionary strength vs. heretics wouldn't be all that useful until I got into the eastern area as much of India was Muslim, not Buddhist or even Hindu. The only real benefit of the group for quite awhile would be the +3% base missionary strength, and that wouldn't even come until idea 4.

So I decided to take the other route and go Humanist ideas early. I wasn't large yet, which is when Humanist really shines, but every single idea in the group has value. The first one gives +25% religious unity, which staves off the unrest and corruption of low unity. The second one gives a flat -2 bonus to unrest; the third a +3 tolerance of heretics (useful later); and the 4th a -10 years of separatism, which is one of the more valuable since that is basically a -5 bonus to unrest in a newly conquered province. It finishes out with +2 max promoted cultures (can be good later), +30% bonus to improve relations (great for burning off AE), and +3 tolerance of heathens (great for the Muslims I would be conquering), with the finisher being a -10% idea cost (great). My base missionary strength wouldn't be as good, but I already had a base 5%, and when combined with an inquisitor advisor and 2 points of stability that is at 8%, which is enough to convert a 20 development province in around 30 months, which is an acceptable rate. Especially if all of the bonuses to unrest were involved so that I'm not worried about big stacks of rebels rising up to destroy my manpower and budget.

So yeah I declined going Religious ideas and took Humanist instead. I think ultimately it will be far better in the long run, even though I will need to convert every province in India for the achievement. If conversion time does become a problem later I can always decide to take Religious ideas then, but for now Humanist is so much more useful in keeping my nation stable and not spending money and manpower on putting down rebellions.

More to come later...

Well I think that's pretty much it. Things were going okay and then Bahmanis declared on my ally Orissa. I didn't realize where my fleet was when I accepted the call to arms and lost 90% of it. My army was in Pasai and I couldn't get back so they occupied my entire core. To get out of the war I had to annul my alliance with Orissa and give them 200+ gold, taking out several loans to do it.

This then started a death spiral. Mahajrit allied Vijayanagar and since I only had a small ally left they then attacked me. I had started ferrying my troops back over to my core when I got caught out by a far superior navy that I didn't see, leaving some forces in my core, some in Pasai, and some dead in the water. My force in Pasai then got stackwiped when they landed troops. I almost won the battle, which might have saved the entire war spiral, but they managed to land more troops about 2 days before I would have won the battle, so I lost it all.

And then Malacca and Ayuthayya attacked me.

I started putting an army of mercs together in my core and managed to destroy Vijayanagar's troops enough to buy a white peace, but I had no navy left and couldn't challenge the three navies that were stacked against me at all anyway. And neither would settle for anything less than me giving up every single province I had except my two originals. :(

Eventually they started landing in my core in pieces and I started getting positive war score. But I had to wait a long time for it to happen, take out many loans and buy down my war exhaustion a bunch of times. Eventually the war had gone on long enough with Malacca and they had lost enough troops that I was able to white peace them out. And with two navies gone I was able to sneak a troop onto Mahajrit's war goal and remove the ticking war score, and get a white peace out of it. But by now my loans were out of control (16!) and my war exhaustion matched it, and I couldn't buy down war exhaustion anymore as my diplomacy points had run out (my ruler had a 0 in diplomacy).

I was starting to get things a little bit put together again and managed an alliance with Bahmanis. But I started getting one bad event after another, requiring me to either spend more money (I had none to spend) or create more unrest. I was preparing to try to attack Pasai and his ally (having built 5 new cogs and ferried my army over to the islands), who both had a boatload of ducats in the bank that I could hopefully take and pay back some of my loans, when two rebellions broke out in my capital. I had to ferry the army back and bring those under control, then Bahmanis attacked Vijayanagar and pulled me in (halting my war exhaustion decay). I had just about finished helping in that war (they gave me 3 provinces, but I probably should have just taken none by transferring control back to them) when 3 more revolts broke out in the islands. I handled one, and was ferrying over my troops to take care of the other when that army suddenly decided to go player hunting while my army was split and stackwiped it. Meanwhile the third revolt moved from the Maldives into my home and I now don't have enough troops to take care of them both.

Got fed up with the constant slog of bad **** and rage quit. :( Seriously ever since Orissa got me into that war and I lost my navy I haven't had anything go right. I have I think 22 or 23 loans now (to the tune of around 2000 or so ducats), and will have to take out more to replace my army yet again. I can't even remove one of the revolts because I can't get enough troops ferried over at one time to avoid another stackwipe. And unless I find some way to get all that taken care of and once again try to attack Pasai and their ally for money there is no way I can pay back the loans. The interest alone is getting close to everything I make now.

Oh and my good 12 point heir had an event death and my ruler is now in his 60s and hasn't spawned another heir in almost 20 years.

I can take setbacks when they happen, but when they just keep happening over and over and over and the entire game has turned into a setback and nothing good happens to the point where I'm getting close to bankruptcy, it's tough to take. I've not gotten a single decently positive event (i.e one that actually makes any difference) and at least 10 "bad" or "worse" choice events in the past few in-game years. If I do go bankrupt I will lose everything because I won't have any army morale and I can't protect myself anymore.

Edited by Rhoth

Wow,

Sounds like fun, not.

I really do not like it when you get one after another bad event, with 0 good ones mixed in.

You are playing on the hard setting still?

Yes, the hard setting. I'm not sure if that effects events or not though. I know that it effects diplomacy with AI. They have an automatic -20 malus to taking diplomacy items with you (alliances and royal marriages, which is why it's so difficult to actually get them as Ceylon since there are other maluses like different religion and different culture). I thought that it affected AI war desire too.

I'm probably going to try at it again after work today. Needed to take a break and do something else for the rest of yesterday after the soul-crushing, continuous bad that was happening in-game. ;)

All right, so I've played about 20 years on and things are still going crappy, though a little better. I lost all of my Pasai provinces (thanks Malacca, you're an ass for going 3 military techs over everyone else in the region), but just managed to take almost all of them back (though that means more unrest). I've managed to pay my loans down to 12 (worth 1200 ducats), but I'm still way in the hole there. I also managed to get a good 12 point heir that actually survived this time (though I had to spend 12 years with a regent and then regency council, and neither topped 4 points for that entire time). I spent most of my excess monarch points on development in order to bring Colonialism to Ceylon (you're welcome all my neighbors).

The biggest problem is that **** storm of bad events continues. In the 20 years I've played since rage quitting I've gotten exactly one positive event that makes any difference (that gave me 50 bonus ducats). I've received seven (7!) "hey we see you owe the bank a ton of money, let's give you an event that you can choose either a negative stability hit or pay another 100 or so ducats" events. And two "oh hey we see you just spend all of your admin points, give us 50 more or pay 25 ducats and gain a point of corruption". The "here's some plague" event that just happened to me that cost me only 20 ducats was mild in comparison.

ONE POSITIVE EVENT! No "hey here's a free point of stability, enjoy" events. Nothing.

If I could just get a handle on the debt I racked up, I might be able to still make a go of this, but with my debt interest taking nearly half my income, the only way I can get more money is to go to war.

Finally got one positive stability event. :b:

I'm also working my way through the relatively rich and not quite so powerful nations off to the east. Trying to rebuild my navy before paying off too many loans. Part of the reason why I'm not making as much money as I could is lack of navy.

Still have a powerful ally in Bahmanis too, and a lot of favors. Thinking about trying to do some war on the continent again instead of the islands, but really Vijanagar (now a 2 province nation protected by Orissa) is the only available target since one of my neighbors is an ally and the other is protected by Bahmanis.

Definitely glad I decided to stick with it. Things have changed quite a bit since I started conquering the smaller nations with money. I was able to rebuild my fleet with the captured funding, which helped my trade income. Those small nations, especially the two nations with the extra 3 base production modifiers really boosted my income too. It took a while, but I was able to pay off every single loan. I was then finally able to start building a few buildings that made sense (churches, etc. in the high base tax provinces).

I've conquered a bit more than that too, though. On the mainland Orissa got uppity and ended up on the losing end of a war with Bahmanis, which allowed me to take over Coromandel from Vijananagar (who is now dead), which lead into capturing even more territory from Orissa later when they came to the aid of someone else. My now tiny ally Malabar decided to insult me right after our royal marriage ended so I annulled the alliance, waited the five years, and took their capital. I now own 4 of the 6 trade provinces in the Ceylon node, which is good for a 60% control of the node, even without any trade ships patrolling around. It would be nicer if I owned some of the Bengal node, which feeds Ceylon. I can't really capture any of the trade provinces in the Bengal node because they're all owned by Bengal the country, one of my two allies, but I put all of my trade ships in that node and am building more and more to capture more of that node.

And that's in part because I'm getting closer to owning all of the trade provinces in the Malacca node, which feeds Bengal, as well as now owning all of the trade provinces in the Moluccas and the Philippines, which feed Malacca (thanks Tidore for colonizing Manila and then letting me have it). I'm having to ferry my troops around a lot, but it's been worth it. Now that I've turned the corner I'm actually making between 15 and 20 ducats a month now. Considering where I was at the end of yesterday, when I was flirting within 2 loans of bankruptcy, I'd say I've definitely been able to turn it around. The only thing I'm really working on now is trying to power my corruption down with maxed out spending. Because I was unable to pay for it for a while, and then my good 12 point ruler developed the embezzler trait (+.05 yearly corruption), it has been floating close to 3 points lately. I now have it down to 1.5 and dropping fast.

I'll eventually have to start annulling my alliances as I continue to move deeper into India proper, as there are now only about three provinces that are adjacent to me that are not owned by an ally, but I want to continue building a power base in the islands first. I could probably take Bahmanis now, if he didn't also have other allies, but I want to be a little cautious on that and solidify my other areas first. That will be a little more difficult as the Ottomans have shown up. Yep, they went full colonizer in this game. First time I've ever seen it. They've now colonized three provinces in Malacca, and are working on two more. I'm kind of annoyed about that as they also have a larger fleet than mine floating around too, as well as their normal giant army. Luckily I own all but two of the really important provinces already. I have a hunch I'll eventually have to tangle with them, so it's probably time I started building some heavy ships, even though they will cost a bit. Right now my fleet is all trade ships and transports.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.....