Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

donald23

How a duke of Connacht fares...

31 posts in this topic

I'll create a moderate from of an AAR, using mostly screenshots.

At the beginning of this story I'm an old duke of Connacht and I have son and two grand kids. My son isn't married by the way.

I soon find him a wife, who allies me with the duke of Gwynedd from Wales. Also I press my claims for the county of Breifne as it should be part of my duchy already and he won't vassalage out of free will.

Without further ado, this is me:

ck2_2012_04_19_22_15_33_150.jpg

After some time, my Court Chaplain dies:

ck2_2012_04_19_22_12_53_536.jpg

Notice anything strange? :p

:woohoo:

CKII takes over the the 'Other Games' forum!

Bloody priests, they're all the same...... ;)

:woohoo:CKII takes over the the 'Other Games' forum!Bloody priests, they're all the same...... ;)
Revolution!:eager:

My first wive died not to long in the game at age 52. I still remarried and I seem to still get the hang of it:

ck2_2012_04_21_00_04_34_083.jpg

On a side note, this is rather boring... My chancellor is fabricating claims, but that takes ages!!

Invite claimants to other counties to your court, then bash heads on their behalf! ;)

Then my son dies a maimed cripple... All the better, the guy wasn't that good, my grandson is now Earl of Breifne and has a rather high opinion of me.

ck2_2012_04_21_00_12_34_276.jpg

Now that my wife is pregnant, I'm in doubt if I should take the landed title from my grandson again so my own son or daughter can inherit it... otherwise my Duchy might break up again :(

As this is a learning game and I'm not caring too much at my old age of 63 if I'm loved, I revoked the title from my grandson. This way my Duchy will stay whole to be expanded in the future!

My first wive died not to long in the game at age 52. I still remarried and I seem to still get the hang of it:

ck2_2012_04_21_00_04_34_083.jpg

On a side note, this is rather boring... My chancellor is fabricating claims, but that takes ages!!

With a 14 diplo chancellor, getting a claim should take on average 4-6 years.

Ah, that is good to know, thanks Nik! I tried to invite some better chancellor, but they all refused. When I tried to revoke the title of my grandson, he protested and became independent. That was not what I meant and I was planning on showing that.

I raised an army 3 times the size he could raise (true, I had some saxon band hired in there) and quickly got over his stupidity. I didn't give him the chance regretting it, and executed him in prison after I'd taken his title.

My child turned out to be a lovely daughter who I will raise to be a cunning diplomat!

And then the good news arrives. I have since long the title "the Old", but that doesn't stop me from getting my wife pregnant! At age 65, she is pregnant again!

ck2_2012_04_21_00_49_39_493.jpg

And again my wife has given me a lovely daughter that will cost me only gold...

ck2_2012_04_21_00_57_36_445.jpg

I managed to become King of Ireland in 1122, starting as Earl Ruardri of Tyrconnel in 1066..

(just to get that healthy competitive spirit going ;) )

First a quick report from last night:

That blasted earl from the north of my nice island claimed he owns me Duchy! The bastard! He even pressed claims... Now we wait until my claims for Kildare are proven or until that only-earl-in-name guy from the north attacks.

ck2_2012_04_21_01_14_58_940.jpg

Ohw, and my wife got pregnant again and delivered a nice baby boy! now I have to take a good look at my succession...

ck2_2012_04_21_01_33_47_808.jpg

I managed to become King of Ireland in 1122, starting as Earl Ruardri of Tyrconnel in 1066..

(just to get that healthy competitive spirit going ;) )

Meh, this is my second game :) And for some reason I don't really find this game competitive, just immerse to play :)

And the game continues. As I have no claims and my realm is really satisfied and quiet, there is not much to do. My daughter celebrated her 6th birthday and she has developed a stutter in the past years. I have her educated in the hopes of her becoming a good steward someday! My Son has a diplomacy of 1 at his birth! I hope this grows and that he will be the competent leader I envision to take over my reign.

Then the Duke of Kildare announces that he has a claim (and presses them) on my beloved county of Connacht!

ck2_2012_04_22_12_27_47_016.jpg

Well, he can join with the Earl of Tyrconnell in sorrow when I have beaten them both :)

As there is not much to do, I took a look at my dynasty. I have an uncle that is younger then my own child :huh:

ck2_2012_04_22_12_53_17_533.jpg

Only 8 living members! Mind they don't have too many accidents!

Good point, hmm, maybe I'll look for a really fertily wife for my son :)

In the meanwhile, I finally get the proof of my claim of Kildare. And without further ado I declare war on him, call my friends the Saxon Band to arms and 1500 troops march of to conquer those meager 250 troop he amassed.

ck2_2012_04_22_13_45_08_771.jpg

The first battle starts on 26 February 1091 and is easy won! Without a scratch the remaining troops of the Earl flee to Thomond and the siege of Kildare begins!

And on the 6 January 1092 Kildare surrenders and I now am also the Earl of Kildare!

Great! Now let's have Dublin as well, then the Duchy of Meath is mine!

Keep going. It gets even more fun once you're the king and trying to keep all those unruly Irish lords in line.

Keep going. It gets even more fun once you're the king and trying to keep all those unruly Irish lords in line.

Yeah, once you gain the upper hand in Ireland it's pretty easy to claim the Kingdom. Then things get real interesting.....

Go King to be Donald! :b:

I hope no one's bricked Donald into a wall somewhere. Those evil castle plots! :mad:

Hmm, I've lost some screenshots and notes on the way... but here is another update:

Yeah! I lived long enough to change the succession law!

ck2_2012_04_25_22_53_48_574.jpg

Now I don't have to kill my second son to prevent that my empire falls apart, this day brought joy!

Time passes, my daughter comes of age and I marry her off matrillinial to a bit younger fellow. She has become a very good diplomat, unfortunately I cannot appoint her as my chanchellor.

ck2_2012_04_25_23_39_29_962.jpg

And even while I'm still carrying syphillis, my wife is pregnant again!

ck2_2012_04_25_23_36_12_594.jpg

And few months later, my baby girl is born!

ck2_2012_04_25_23_53_17_454.jpg

And then finally, on 4 January, 1098 my chancellor is able to proof that I have a claim on Leinster! That is my in for my 3rd duchy, so I have no doubt in my mind and press the claims!

ck2_2012_04_26_00_01_36_767.jpg

And immediately send my chancellor off to Ossory, to claim the entire duchy. After that I can nibble on Ormond, which is economically a nice place to have ;)

Also, because the county was recently conquered, it cannot raise it's levies until a year from now. So I declare war the next day and raise only my personal levies to conquer this nice coastal land!

The 18 brave soldiers that try to defend Leister are doomed and the battle is quickly over. The the sieging starts...

And on 2 March, 1099 the duke of Leinster offers peace. Victory for me!!

ck2_2012_04_26_00_21_59_401.jpg

Now it's time to get my lands a bit back in order and make my vassals like me a bit more! Ohw, and save for 150 gold so I can create the title Duchy of Leinster. That way I should be able to either vassalage or take the title from Ossory.

Donald's alive! Hooray! :chili:

Invite claimants to other counties to your court, then bash heads on their behalf! ;)

I've looked around and looked around, but have never found a single claimant. Is there a more efficient way to search for them than just by examining counties one after another?

And even while I'm still carrying syphillis, my wife is pregnant again!

You're a classy man! How come I can't get more than one child (usually a girl) out of my wives? Queue ineveitable comment from Rhoth or Beta..... ;)

The 18 brave soldiers that try to defend Leister are doomed and the battle is quickly over. The the sieging starts...

WTF! 18!

Nice work there mate! :b:

I've looked around and looked around, but have never found a single claimant. Is there a more efficient way to search for them than just by examining counties one after another?

There are a stack of claimants in Ireland, but I've found sod all in southern Italy. I guess it depends on the nature of the surrounding area? Lots of independents in Ireland, reasonably settled in southern Italy?

I've found no easier way than clicking on each county individually....

You're a classy man! How come I can't get more than one child (usually a girl) out of my wives? Queue ineveitable comment from Rhoth or Beta..... ;)

WTF! 18!

Nice work there mate! :b:

I'm strongly going with 4 children :p I have yet to give them land though... But I'm near enough land to start giving them some counties.

That 18 was nice indeed! I declared war right after they had come back from war. So they hadn't trained any troops yet :p

New (short) episode coming up!

Edited by donald23

So today I went back to my duchy.

My daughter came of age and the earlier proposed marriage went on. As it was a matrilinial marriage, my son-in-law came to my court. Which is good, because is a rather good steward and also a rather good learner!

So when he arrived it was time to call the council together to announce some changes. My current Steward and Court Chaplain were once again talking secretively behind a curtain when I entered the room. I have never been one for sweet talk, so my first point was to fire them both. Both got their flabbergasted heads from behind the curtain as the rest of the council burst into laughter!

That was good for the spirit! Then I appointed my new son-in-law to be my new steward. As he is only 18, I hope to have long pleasure of him collecting taxes for me! Then I appointed an old drunken sod as my new Court Chaplain. He might be drunk, but he is good at talking religious stuff!

After a good welcoming meal, I send the two new members of my council of to do their duties.

After a few more weeks I had finally enough money in my coffers to create a new Duchy title! As I have enough land to create two (Duchy of Meath and the Duchy of Leinster) I had to choose. The choice was not so difficult.

ck2_2012_05_10_21_31_53_15.jpg

The Duchy of Meath is already complete in my realm. The Duchy of Leinster not! So I created that title to have a dejure claim on Ossory. And send my Chancellor of to Ormond to find the proof for my claim to that county as it's an economic powerhouse in the region.

For now Ireland is in an uneasy peace, but peace non the less. I know I'm building up my coffers and my Marshall is training troops to get ready for the next war! Because I hope to get Ossory and Ormond shortly after one another!

It is now the year of our lord 1099.

Edited by donald23

In October of that same year my eldest son turns 16 and I would like you to meet him:

ck2_2012_05_10_22_28_45_97.jpg

I arranged a marriage for him with a good steward wife which also gives my an alliance to a barony in Nice. Lost some prestige by marrying only the daughter of baron, but hey, can't skip over good qualities in a wife!

ck2_2012_05_10_22_27_17_61.jpg

Also he has no land of his own. As I plan (including the building sites) to keep Connacht (our birthground) and Dublin to stay in the family, I grant him the county of Dublin already. He will inherit the rest, but this way he can practice in ruling a small demesne. When my second son will come of age I probably grant him the county of Kildare...

On the first of July our lord 1100 I decide it's time to include Ossory in my realm. My chancellor hasn't proven my claim on Ormond yet, but even if he has, that fellow is on crusade somewhere in Jerusalem! I don't think the pope would kindly look at me if I attacked him now. So I can do that in steps. I decide to raise only my personal levies to squash the 292 soldiers that the earl of Ossory raises.

ck2_2012_05_10_22_59_45_28.jpg

During the war it turns out I haven't been looking good at the allies of my enemies. And the earl of Ossory calls in a long time enemy of me, the Countess of Tyreconnell. She promptly raises 469 soldiers and start marching for Connaught!

Okay, then you have asked for it. This is exactly what I saved money for. I hire a band of bretons under the rule of Captain Yves. He and his 1500 men arrive in Connacht shortly after and will await there the arrival of the Evil Countess!

The summer of 1100 will go into history as a bad one...

ck2_2012_05_10_23_11_00_87.jpg

Not only are the defenders of Ossory making a succesful attack from their city, also the measly 400 men from the Evil Countess send the demoralized troops of bretons running!! They lost 20 men and the rest ran away!! I let them come to rest in Breifne, where I provide them the food and drink they desperatly need. When they are all full I sent them marching again this time with good hope they can drive the 400 men from my lands!

That gave a better result! After killing 299 men, the surviving 154 ran off and the bretons cheers fill the air!

I immediately order them to Leinster to help lift the siege that the earl of Ossory has there. That goes well! They kill all the soldiers, none left the battlefield alive!! Hurray for the bretons!! As I don't dare to send them home yet because the Evil Countess still has some men around, I send them north once again to chase after those men! For now I can pay their salaries, so let's make use of 'em!

During this war, my second son becomes 6 and I start to teach him myself. My army-leading skills are quite good and I hope that my second son will someday become the Marshall for my first! During my tutoring, the little boy shows remarkable growth! First is afraid of even the smallest spider, which doesn't exactly come in handy when you're living in a castle... So I take matters in my own hand and teach him. Luckily he loses his craven trait!

ck2_2012_05_10_22_53_50_58.jpg

A little while later he shows the first signs after his father! The little boy is as honest as you can find them! He even called our lady fat ;) I can never do that myself, but I swear I saw here once turn and go sideways through a door, just to fit through!

ck2_2012_05_10_23_32_30_50.jpg

All the while the siege in Ossory is going well! Although the earl orders several times an attack from within the walls. Some help them advance and some demoralize their people even further... And in February we continue to siege the Bisphoric after the castle has been taken. In that same month the bretons kill off the last men of the Evil Countess. As my gold is now down to 18 and as far as I can see the siege is going to end rather soon, I decide to give the bretons one last meal and sent them off home to recover.

Not too long after I complete my sieges in Ossory and the earl gives up. I get the county and the people cheer to me!

ck2_2012_05_10_23_35_15_04.jpg

At the end of the war I decided to go into the holy war against Jerusalem. So I take one army of 240 men and load them up all my 3 boats and send them off to that far away land. Luck will have it that my uncle, who has been a pain in my ass, commands the army that is off to help the pope ;) The others can return home as there is once again peace in Ireland! I hope my Chancellor finds the prove for my claim of Ormond soon! Because when I own that county, I own 7 out of 13 Irish counties ;)

It is now the year of our lord 1101.