Thread: Avalon Hill's Civilization

Default Avalon Hill's Civilization

Anyone still play this game? I've always loved it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Never actually played it, but I've heard great things.
    http://www.brrgames.com

WPC Minecraft Server - 71.19.242.210
    Checkout our Minecraft Map!

Administrator and Modboss Metaliturtle's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Always wanted to play, but there were so many other cool things to do at Apolycon 06 that I did not get the chance.
    Behold the revolution

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome to the forums, Acaptus.

I never played Avalon Hill's board game Civilization, but I did play its computerized version, Advanced Civilization.
    I like whiskey. I always did, and that is why I never drink it. --Robert E. Lee

I played, and still play sometimes, Advanced Civilization.
    A strange concept, but a good game.
    Best regards,

Emperor
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've played the Advanced Civ boardgame-but I haven't played in in years.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately all my old gaming buddies have tired of playing Advanced Civilization and I'm too lazy too find new ones. But I've played it a lot over the years
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

It's not paranoia when they really are against you. - Buster's Uncle

I think it (Civ, Advanced Civ) was our most played board game until we discovered Settlers of Catan.
    There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!

Downloads
    Uploads

You might want to try Sid Meier's Civilization: the Boardgame

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3633

especially with Rhye's and Fall of Civilization: the Boardgame

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...o=file&id=9347

Chieftain
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've played the computer version as well (still have it installed on my desktop, too.) Not a bad game, but I've the sense that it works better as a tabletop beer & pretzels sort of game with a group of friends.

女士
    Downloads
    Uploads

I played it. In my experience, it's like Diplomacy. A full game could take weeks to finish, if your players are serious about it. And like Diplomacy, if any player isn't pulling their weight, the game spirals out of balance pretty quickly.

It works best if everybody's playing with the same intensity of interest. If all the players are casual, that's great - enjoy it with a few beers and snacks. If all the players are powergamers aiming to maximize each move, that's fine too. A mixture of the two types is usually bad news for everybody though. The strong players will snap up the weak players and the game becomes more about who can divvy up the spoils fastest rather than play well.

A player like that really f***ed up my first experience playing Diplomacy. The rest of us were making and breaking treaties and alliances and really giving it a good go, and this douchebag decides he's going to go off to do some laundry. After we put up with his lengthy delays, he then decides to leave the game and get some beers. His kingdom was closest to mine, so I ended up (dubiously) benefitting the most from his intransigence, but even so it was a bit of a d!ckhead move to just retire out. Everybody who counted on him suddenly found themselves scrambling, with their long term strategies in ruins.

Downloads
    Uploads

An interesting feature, at least to wargamers like my 1970s and 1980s group, was the absence of randomess, except for how it was dertermined who played which civiliztion and the very insignificant matter of how the level 1 and level 2 trade cards were mixed in the initial set up, everything was determined by the players. No dice at all.
    I more than once finished with the max points possible, The largest 11? civilization cards, the 6 bronze trade cards, and (by a stupid part of the rules) 1 city, two farmers, and the rest of the tokens in treasury. After a few while we modified the rules to make a city and two farmers worth more than 2 tokens in treasury, and then I max that out a few times. I was SOOOO efetely civilized.
    Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; 05-09-09 at 22:11.
    Older, Richer, and Wiser than you.

I play the Avalon Hill board. I also have an advanced civilization and the expansion of the Dutch version of the company, called compendium.I has not played the game for three or four times a year. This is the biggest advantage of experienced players. Experienced players do not play faster. It could also help to arrange the maximum amount of time spent on the first trading cards.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have played Advanced Civ the boardgame a great number of times, usually with 5 or 6 players.

In my experience it is an 8-12 hour game that can and should be done in one long sitting. Anybody not willing to commit to this was not allowed to play.

We always limited trading rounds to 5 minutes in the early game and 10 minutes in the later game. When the timer went off, trading was done. This really moves the game along. Also people on opposite sides of the map often would agree to move simultaneously.

To frustrate card-counters, I would mix returning calamities into the bottom 3 or 4 cards of each deck rather than put them at the bottom. Eventually I removed Civil War altogether from the game, as it often determined who won and ruined several close games.
    #smac, IRC channel for discussion of SMAC and other 4X games, on synIRC.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've played the computer version, but never really got into it...but then as I played without reding the manual I was mostly confused by what I was doing with no clear idea of what I was meant to do....I think I treated it a bit like and advanced version of Risk....but it has been quite some time since I played it now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Since the heart of the game is trading commodity cards with different players, I am trying to imagine how it could play against an AI. I guess it would be similar to playing poker against the computer. It is the same game rules, but the bluffing element would not have the same impact, nor would the element of "keeping your word" or doing someone else a favor.
    #smac, IRC channel for discussion of SMAC and other 4X games, on synIRC.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's that element of playing with/against another human....oddly enough I can compare it to playing Halo on the 360. Not a big fan of the game...or the genre in general, but sit with another human (or friend :-D) be it co-operative or Vs then it suddenly becomes fun....in fact I'd still rather play it sitting with someone in the same room than rely upon a network connection to play it with a bunch of random people.

The message being playing something with a social aspect is more fun than not, AIs just don't provide that aspect.

I need to play boardgames more often......

Speaking of which, anyone tried any of the games from a company called Days of Wonder?

Days of wonder are AMAZING. Shadows over camelot ftw.
    And isn't there a new civ board game? I've got a new one. It's pretty good, but can take 10+ hours. That's not as long as 1830 though
    Edit: just looked at the box, was released by 2k, firaxis and FF
    Last edited by napthus; 06-07-11 at 14:17.