Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis IV - Shaping up fine

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoth View Post
    Signs you may be playing too much EU4:

When you're heading to work in the morning and the Lexus in front of you taps their brakes, and you think to yourself, "Hey their brake lights look exactly like the Austrian flag."
    Hahaha.
    The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.
    (Zephania 3.17)

WPC Janitor / Administrator Penry's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

For all you Civ6 informational needs, consult The Civ 6 Compendium - your Civilization 6 index.

Immortal Guide of Apocalypto Rhoth's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

So my coalition war wrapped up nicely. There is an achievement to join a coalition of 5 members or more. I've never gotten that one. It would be much easier if the achievement were to cause a coalition of 5 or more members. Maybe even start it at 10 or 15. I would have had that one long since (though to be fair most of the time I try to avoid them, and when I don't avoid them it's because I generally know what I'm doing nowadays, which was not the case during that Hungary succession game where I captured a quarter of Italy and then conveniently died and made Penry and Nik fight the resulting coalition war).

After the coalition I was still interested in warring, having come out of it with little to no losses (about 2/3 of my infantry is standing-hire mercs as my manpower limit and recovery rate are still not very good, and I don't want to take Quantity ideas to boost them). So I declared a humiliation war against Bohemia, who also brought Saxony in again, though I was no longer able to rival Saxony, having eclipsed them after the last war. Normally I don't declare humiliation wars as they aren't necessarily easy. You can't take any province claims and the real benefit requires a 100 point peace deal, but since I had just gotten out of a coalition I didn't want to start taking more land right away, and I wanted more power projection and monarch points.

It went resoundingly well. I called in Brandenburg just because I had a lot of favors from them (I'd helped them with a few wars too). There wasn't really much to the war. Bohemia isn't weak, but I had the superior army and a good siege general. It took a while to get to a high enough war score for the "show strength" finisher, but I eventually got there. In the meantime my AE was ticking down more slowly than I would have wished (thanks to my king at the time being a naive enthusiast personality (-20% relations penalty, which affects AE decay). He also developed a negative second trait (lower heir chance)...so he was naive and bad in bed. He didn't have great stats and already had his better younger brother as an heir so he became a general and I was happy to see him go.

With my AE with my neighbors reduced to more manageable levels (though not as far as it could have been), I went back to conquering and made Verden my own to finally give myself a port city, as well as be able to start making claims on my newish rival Denmark. Sweden was already out from under their thumb so their lands were looking like a tasty treat of non-HRE territory. It would be a little while before I attacked them though.

Around this time I also received Colonialism spread. In my Poland game Colonialism started in western Spain and took for-frickin-ever to spread east. With this game it started in England and quickly spread to France and up the coastline of the English Channel. I bordered Brabant in the west so once they received it I started getting Colonialism fairly quickly, and I've been keeping a high reserve of ducats banked for paying the institution cost. I've already built the money-producing temples and workshops and marketplaces that made sense and I don't like wasting my ducats on a low-return building, so all the money I've been grabbing in various peace deals was sitting around for institution spread and eventually paying for manufactories. They cost a bit, but if you build them in the right places you can develop a gigantic income. In my Poland game I built a ton of manufactories (and became the country where the manufactory institution began because of it) and by the end of the game my production income dwarfed my tax income.

In this game I'm expecting to do some of the same. My current income is only okay, enough to pay for my troops on full pay with a bit of leeway, but not enough yet to be a major player, but down the road I expect to be richer. The main goals of the campaign are dismantling the HRE and paying for 50 merc regiments at the same time with no loans so I need a better ducat reserve anyway. I eventually want to move into the Lubeck trade node, which is much richer than the Rheinland, and perhaps the English Channel, though I haven't decided on that yet. When I was playing my Scotland game I took over the Netherlands area and kept having gigantic Dutch revolts until I managed to start a war on the Netherlands in order to revoke their cores. The Netherlands hasn't spawned yet, but those provinces are also very high development so it won't be easy to deal with taking them yet.

More to come later...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoth View Post
    Signs you may be playing too much EU4:

When you're heading to work in the morning and the Lexus in front of you taps their brakes, and you think to yourself, "Hey their brake lights look exactly like the Austrian flag."
    Mine is that the drive went by quickly because I spent the whole time thinking about my EU4 strategy.

Steam sez I got 1883 hours sunk in, 'bout you?

Started a game as England. 1st war is a war against an ally of Scotland (Irish minor), meanwhile the clock is ticking for the war of roses. I managed to almost finish the Scottish war before the WoR started (finding the English Parliament and events add some flavor not seen before). WoR is over, not hard to complete choosing the path of least resistance, while the other war continued. Took the lower two Scottish provinces and one minor in Ireland.

Started another war with an Irish Minor to be able to get a claim on another Irish minor with an alliance with Scotland(too far away). Now waiting for AE to die off so I can attack Scotland again.

Wow, compared to the Iroquois, England makes a ton of $. Allied with Portugal, Castile, Burgundy, and Austria (and one Irish minor, trying to make a vassal).

Downloads
    Uploads

954 hours for me.

And yeah England makes a ton of money. Lots of relatively high development provinces and a trade node that can be the best in the world if you put some effort into colonization. Especially if you expand a bit into the Netherlands territories and take Holland and Antwerp and make yourself the sole power in an end trade node that has a chain that can reach all the way from Australia.

Parliament seemed a bit underwhelming to me. It has some flavor, but it's basically "buy up the last vote or two you need" or else the vote fails.

Downloads
    Uploads

I also did a random new world since that will be new for me too.

Second war of Scotland finished (they are allied to France, but again declared on an Irish minor that was their ally. Took two more provinces. Little more time until they are completely gone, or might wait and leave them with one province so they will colonize near me for the "extra" settler. LOL

Downloads
    Uploads

Make sure to attack Norway and take Iceland away from them. Always helpful for the initial boost in colonial range to get to Canada. Nice thing is since they own Orkney you can even get a claim on them so you don't have to do a no CB war. You'll be fighting Denmark of course, but really you don't even need to do much more than destroy their boats. The warscore cost of taking Iceland is minimal.

Downloads
    Uploads

Two more coalition wars and a succession war!

The second coalition war wasn't my fault though. I was helping Austria with Bohemia and helping Brandenburg with their own succession war with Burgundy and the Low Countries over Anhalt, both at the same time. And both gave me provinces at the end of the wars, to the tune of 4 not necessarily small provinces. And this soon after I had conquered a few provinces from Denmark. I all of a sudden had a coalition of basically the trading nations in the Lubeck node, and Anhalt right next to me, with only a capital fort and no non-coalition allies. Prevailing wisdom goes to attack the coalition if possible, and go for a weak target that you can siege and get their war exhaustion ticking up so they peace out quicker. This then avoids the nasty +30 modifier to war desire when they attack you with the coalition CB. Anhalt was definitely a weak target and the coalition was not scary at all. I only took money though, as I wanted the AE to tick down, not continue up.

The third coalition was my fault, mostly because of irritation. I attacked Denmark again a while later and took the rest of their provinces on the mainland. I timed it quite nicely with my AE so that only two nations that weren't peace-locked with me would be eligible for a coalition. Except that I gave my vassal Dithmarschen (I had diplo vassalized East Frisia and Dithmarschen in addition to my elector vassal Mainz) the province of Holstein...completely forgetting that vassals will pretty much always give back an unlawful territory province and they aren't allied with the emperor. So Holstein went away, but I still had the AE hit for it. And I was irritated so I worked up a claim, declared on them and conquered them all over again, even though I got the AE for it again.

The coalition formed because of that, but it was mostly the same nations as last time, with a few more thrown in, and no Anhalt. Trier was in it though, and I still had that reconquest CB from Mainz floating around so I used it to declare on the coalition again before it could get scarier. This brought in Trier's allies too, but they also had only a capital fort and one level 2 fort. Half of the coalition was in the north and basically cut off from helping those in the south so I smashed the southern nation's armies and settled in to siege down Trier. Brandenburg helped in the north and once again the coalition had little teeth to it and my vassal got his province back (the one I gave up in the first coalition war).

It was a little bit scary right off the bat though as soon after I started the third coalition war I got a pop-up telling me Sweden's monarch died without an heir and England would take a PU over them if I didn't contest it (both of them were my rivals, along with Poland). Well of course I was going to contest it. Once the third coalition war was over I focused entirely on the succession war and smashed Sweden while he was trying to land some troops, then went off to siege down his territory. England? Well they never set foot in my land at all. It was almost like they didn't care that they could force a PU over a relatively powerful nation.

The sieges took a while, in part because I couldn't get through Denmark and had to go all the way around into Russia to get there, but I got it done. But I still didn't have enough war score to force the PU and there was no way I could hang with England in the naval battles. I only recently gained coastal provinces so a naval landing would be impossible. Luckily Portugal was called into the war on England's behalf and I could get there without even needing to spend my diplo points on going over the relations limit like I did to get my troops into Sweden. I went and smashed Portugal's army and sieged down Lisbon and then had just enough war score to force the PU over Sweden.

Nice!

Downloads
    Uploads

Sick today. Played some more this morning.

After my successful succession war with Sweden I ended up playing around a bit more with marriages. I noticed that my ally Brandenburg had a 50 year old duchess with no heir and -25% heir chance. If she dies without an heir then a Hessian monarch ascends the throne and then in the future I'll have a chance to claim the throne. The one I'm a little salty about is that France had no heir and a monarch getting up there in age. I didn't have any dealings with France before, but noticed that the "on monarch death" thing was a succession war between Spain and Poland. I managed a royal marriage with them since we're not rivals (yet) and knocked Poland out of the potential succession war in my favor. Unfortunately though when I checked a few years later the French king had just died, but his consort squeezed out a baby about a month before he died. It would have been veeeerrry nice to put France into a PU. They most certainly would have been rebellious right off the bat as they are stronger than I am and combined with Sweden I would have a malus for subject armies being greater than my own, but it would have been glorious to rule over all of France and Sweden as Hesse.

I also annexed two of my vassals: East Frisia and Dithmarschen. With vassals being willing to give back unlawful territory there was no reason to keep either one around anymore, and with Sweden in a PU I was now over my relationship limit. Both of them were OPMs so I integrated them at the same time in less than a year.

In other news I finished off Denmark. All they had left were the islands, and I wanted them. He had a few allies, as well as a weakened Norway (Sweden had taken most of Norway's land -- sorry Nik, Norway always gets eaten by someone in my games), but none of them put up much of a fight. The main issue was getting enough boats put together to cause his remaining fleet to flee long enough for me to get my troops into the islands. Eventually though I managed it.

Almost immediately (as soon as they were cored and stated) I moved my trade capital to Sjaelland and started moving trade toward the Lubeck node. My trade income increased by over 50%. I wanted more than just the two estuaries in the Lubeck node though and after a bit of AE cool down I decided to make a play for Lubeck itself. Hamburg and Bremen, the other two remaining trade center/estuary provinces in the Lubeck node (Stettin is controlled by my long-term ally) are free cities and protected by the emperor, but Lubeck was not. His web of trade league nations and allies was large, but scattered. Basically about 9 OPMs ranging from Riga all the way down to Ragusa.

I did make one costly mistake in the war though. I didn't really need Brandenburg's help, but I called them in anyway. It wasn't until a little later in the war that I realized my mistake. I wasn't about to take any more land than just Lubeck as the AE hit for it alone was large, so I started peacing out his trade league partners and allies for all of their money and war reps. All but one of those had somewhere between 300 and 500 ducats apiece, and Lubeck alone had 3300 ducats! Brandenburg did help with some battles, and sieged down Bremen by themselves, which netted them a 30% participation score. Which meant they got 30% of all the ducats I took in the war. I estimate I lost somewhere between 1500 to 2000 ducats by calling in Brandenburg when I really didn't actually need their help. It would have taken a few months longer since I would have needed to siege Bremen myself. Oh well.

More to come later...

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that is quite a haul.

I will have to remember that the trade league is stacked.

And yeah, I know about the Norway thing (in my game), that is on the agenda right after I get my homelands in control.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
    And yeah, I know about the Norway thing (in my game), that is on the agenda right after I get my homelands in control.
    Norway usually ends up as someone's *****.

Downloads
    Uploads

So after Lubeck was conquered I was looking around and realized that the Lubeck node was now the richest trade node, and if I moved my capital to that node then I'd be able to spawn the next institution (Global Trade) in 1600 (or it would spawn in Hamburg or Bremen, which are on my borders). If I was on the ball better I could have saved the 200 diplomatic points I'd spent to move my trade capital there first, but then if I hadn't moved my trade capital maybe I wouldn't have conquered Lubeck so soon. I don't know. In any case I moved my country capital to Lubeck. Alas when Global Trade came up it started in London. They'd managed to sneak the English Channel node back up to .2 ducats more than Lubeck right before the institution spawned.

The HRE event to stop the League War also spawned...in 1592. Not only did the start of the League War event spawn late in the game (1560-something), the event to end it without a war spawned super early. I'd never seen it spawn before 1600 before. So the HRE is now officially Catholic, which means that I don't have to worry about accidentally becoming emperor during my quest to dissolve the HRE. Because most of the northern and central HRE became Protestant there were only a few potential electors left and two of them were in Spain's back pocket so he became emperor. This was good for me though, since it would mean I could keep Austria as an ally, and two of the three electors (Holland and Munster) were on my borders and allied to Spain. All I needed to do was take care of Switzerland (an OPM by now) and give that province to Austria in a war, and Switzerland was allied to one of my neighbors.

So I started that war and gave Switzerland away, but Spain still had one more potential elector up their sleeve in Memmingen, they had just declined to make them an elector before. Unfortunately Memmingen is not allied to anyone right now and they don't border me so the only way I can start a war with them is a no-CB war, though that would have the boon of calling in Spain to the war too, and hopefully their allies. I've been contemplating it. It would cause a 2 stability hit, as well as 35 AE hit without even taking anything, but it would likely bring in the emperor and all three electors into a war at the same time, which is ultimately what I want. To dissolve the HRE you have to control all of the electors one way or another (through occupying their provinces in a war, or them being a vassal or ally of me) and then occupying the capital of the HRE, and then hitting the button to dissolve it. The only bad thing about Spain now being the emperor is that the capital of the HRE is now all the way down in Toledo in the middle of the Iberian peninsula. Spain also has a ton of troops and manpower thanks to the Iberian wedding incorporating Aragon and Naples, the HRE bonuses to manpower and force limit, and taking quantity ideas.

I haven't been able to bring myself to start that war quite yet, but I'm still pondering it. With Austria and Brandenburg's help (as well as Sweden and severely weakened Burgundy, my PU and vassal respectively) I outnumber them in troop count, but Spain's manpower reserve is over 100k right now, while my max is at 38k (I haven't been pushing manpower cap since I've been using a lot of mercs) and Austria has almost none right now after getting out of a war with France.

So I'm basically on the verge of wrapping up the campaign. The two achievements I want are dissolving the HRE, which involves a really big war, and 50 mercs with no loans. I have 40 mercs right now, with positive income and 11k ducats in the bank so that would be no problem to get up to 50. I've just been cautiously expanding my merc count so I don't deplete the available mercs if I decide to go to war with Spain to dissolve the HRE.
    Last edited by Rhoth; 16-02-17 at 18:53.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do eeeeeet!
    The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.
    (Zephania 3.17)

Downloads
    Uploads

You just want me to die a fiery death for my Norway comment.

Downloads
    Uploads

What? Nooooooo.......
    (Zephania 3.17)

Downloads
    Uploads

As it turned out I couldn't anyway as my ruler died and then the consort died. And then Austria attacked Baden for a cleansing heresy CB and called me in against Spain. Unfortunately none of the electors were called in so I couldn't dissolve the HRE. And even more unfortunately Austria actually did make them Catholic again instead of taking the province for themselves, so now there is another potential elector.

Downloads
    Uploads

I decided to do it up right instead of declaring a no CB war. Austria returned Baden to Catholic and they became an elector again, and I was leery of declaring the no CB war on Memmingen and then not having all of the electors come in. Taking a 2 stab hit, 35 AE without even conquering a province, and 2 war exhaustion would be a high price to pay if I couldn't even dissolve the HRE in the war.

However a new route turned up as Baden started voting for themselves and Memmingen joined them. I figured if I could get at least one of Spain's ally electors out of the game (either conquer them or force them to be Protestant) then Baden would become the emperor and that would be a super easy war. I declared a proxy war on one of Munster's allies, and then during that war forced Munster to turn Protestant. I then figured I might as well do that to Holland as well so that once Baden became emperor there were only two electors left and they were both allied to each other.

Declaring war on Holland meant tangling with Spain though. They were also allied with Austria, but I was involved in a war with Austria that they had declared (Austria went war happy after losing the title of emperor) over reconquest of Gorz from Venice so I could safely declare. I sieged down Holland's forts and kept an eye out for Spanish troops but none arrived. Then the war with Venice ended and suddenly Austria decided they'd honor Holland's call, so my long-term ally suddenly became my enemy and I was at war with both Austria and Spain (along with Holland and mini-Scotland) all alone. I outnumbered Austria though and still no Spanish troops had arrived so I turned around the forces marching on Spain and started sieging down Austria. He put his entire force on one of my level 4 forts so I had free reign to siege down his west and quickly put him out of the war, though it had ended our alliance.

I had a better alliance waiting in the wings though as France was friendly now (they were rivals with Austria) and wanted an alliance as soon as I got out of the war. I headed on down to Spain and started sieging his forts and still no troops. It turns out he had completely stripped his core of troops for another war in Africa and they were all still down there, or somewhere else. I fought exactly one battle against Spanish troops (a 9 stack) and sieged down his entire Iberian core and was working on his Italian cores to do a humiliation and war reps and all of his money, while Sweden worked on sieging down Scotland for me (I took the Orkney Islands so I have an entry into the British isles if I want it in the future, since England is one of my rivals). I ended the war with both Scotland and Spain and then forced Holland to become Protestant, removing them as an elector. Then I allied France of course.

Now I just had to wait until Baden became the emperor and then declare that no CB war on only the two remaining electors, one the emperor, and both OPMs and I'd have the achievement.

Or so I thought...

Downloads
    Uploads

After the war with Spain/Holland I settled in to wait a bit by kicking Norway out of Europe. I was originally intending to just try to take their colonial nation of Vinland in Canada, but I couldn't do that so I settled for taking their remaining core provinces, as well as Iceland and their last island province. Their new capital is in north America.

Then Austria decided to try to mess up my plans yet again by declaring war on Baden (and Memmingen via alliance). When they conquered and took Memmingen outright I got a little leary. I wasn't sure what would happen if all of the electors were suddenly gone. Would the HRE dissolve without me being the one to click the button, thereby denying me the achievement? I didn't know. I had a truce with Austria so I couldn't declare war on them directly even though I bordered them, and they only had one alliance left in Albania. But they were protecting Alsace and my vassal Burgundy had a claim. Alsace would bring in a bunch of other HRE nations, but that was okay. So yes I declared war on Alsace just to keep Austria from occupying Baden.

Since half of the remaining HRE (except for the emperor Spain) was involved in the war I would be peace-locked with them after the war, which meant I decided to throw caution to the wind and take a bunch of provinces in the various peace deals, even at the cost of diplo points (which I had an excess of). The war wasn't easy as I didn't have a gigantic superiority of numbers, and I did lose a few battles, but ultimately my forces carried the day. I also merced up the final 15 I needed to hit 50 merc regiments for that achievement.

In all I conquered three OPMs (Friesland, Trier and Alsace), one province from Brabant (leaving them two), one province from Bohemia (leaving them two), and two provinces from Austria (so that I now bordered Baden). Everyone in the HRE intensely hates me now with the exception of Brandenburg, who actually has almost 80 AE with me now too, though they remain my ally. Even with that high number, after the war no one who isn't peace locked was willing to join a coalition because they would have no shot of winning a war. I'm stronger than the rest of the core HRE combined (once Spain is no longer the emperor), plus I'm allied with a strong France.

Right now I'm working on a claim on Baden and as soon as I have that I will declare war. I don't think that will call in Spain, but I can vassalize Baden instead of conquering them, which means I will control the sole remaining elector for that requirement. I am rivaled to Spain so I can then just declare a humiliation war against them once our peace is gone and then all I have to do is occupy Toledo and I can dissolve the HRE.

I'm not positive if I will end it there or not. The game is still in the early 1600s. There is still technically one more achievement I could do if I really, really want to go all out conquer...Mare Nostrum, which is restoring the Roman Empire, which involves conquering a ton of provinces, including most of France and Spain, and a bunch from the Ottomans. Not sure I really want to do that with this game or not. Starting as Castile would be a much easier way to accomplish that since I currently own almost none of the required provinces. We'll see. I may go try out Ceylon again and hit my head against a wall that way instead.

Downloads
    Uploads

Back in North America, Norway plots revenge and conquers the natives, slowly building a strong United States of Norwegian America that welcomes all enemies of Rhoth.
    (Zephania 3.17)

Downloads
    Uploads

Make Norway great again!