Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How a duke of Connacht fares...

WPC Janitor / Administrator Penry's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by donald23 View Post

And even while I'm still carrying syphillis, my wife is pregnant again!
    You're a classy man! How come I can't get more than one child (usually a girl) out of my wives? Queue ineveitable comment from Rhoth or Beta.....

The 18 brave soldiers that try to defend Leister are doomed and the battle is quickly over. The the sieging starts...
    WTF! 18!

Nice work there mate!
    Follow The Grand Duchy of Muscovy as it rises from minnow to majesty in my Europa Universalis IV AAR

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Zkribbler View Post
    I've looked around and looked around, but have never found a single claimant. Is there a more efficient way to search for them than just by examining counties one after another?
    There are a stack of claimants in Ireland, but I've found sod all in southern Italy. I guess it depends on the nature of the surrounding area? Lots of independents in Ireland, reasonably settled in southern Italy?

I've found no easier way than clicking on each county individually....
    Follow The Grand Duchy of Muscovy as it rises from minnow to majesty in my Europa Universalis IV AAR

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RobWorham View Post
    You're a classy man! How come I can't get more than one child (usually a girl) out of my wives? Queue ineveitable comment from Rhoth or Beta.....

WTF! 18!

Nice work there mate!
    I'm strongly going with 4 children I have yet to give them land though... But I'm near enough land to start giving them some counties.

That 18 was nice indeed! I declared war right after they had come back from war. So they hadn't trained any troops yet

New (short) episode coming up!
    Last edited by donald23; 10-05-12 at 20:54.
    A day not smiled is a day not lived!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

So today I went back to my duchy.

My daughter came of age and the earlier proposed marriage went on. As it was a matrilinial marriage, my son-in-law came to my court. Which is good, because is a rather good steward and also a rather good learner!

So when he arrived it was time to call the council together to announce some changes. My current Steward and Court Chaplain were once again talking secretively behind a curtain when I entered the room. I have never been one for sweet talk, so my first point was to fire them both. Both got their flabbergasted heads from behind the curtain as the rest of the council burst into laughter!
    That was good for the spirit! Then I appointed my new son-in-law to be my new steward. As he is only 18, I hope to have long pleasure of him collecting taxes for me! Then I appointed an old drunken sod as my new Court Chaplain. He might be drunk, but he is good at talking religious stuff!
    After a good welcoming meal, I send the two new members of my council of to do their duties.

After a few more weeks I had finally enough money in my coffers to create a new Duchy title! As I have enough land to create two (Duchy of Meath and the Duchy of Leinster) I had to choose. The choice was not so difficult.

The Duchy of Meath is already complete in my realm. The Duchy of Leinster not! So I created that title to have a dejure claim on Ossory. And send my Chancellor of to Ormond to find the proof for my claim to that county as it's an economic powerhouse in the region.

For now Ireland is in an uneasy peace, but peace non the less. I know I'm building up my coffers and my Marshall is training troops to get ready for the next war! Because I hope to get Ossory and Ormond shortly after one another!

It is now the year of our lord 1099.
    Last edited by donald23; 10-05-12 at 20:57.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

In October of that same year my eldest son turns 16 and I would like you to meet him:

I arranged a marriage for him with a good steward wife which also gives my an alliance to a barony in Nice. Lost some prestige by marrying only the daughter of baron, but hey, can't skip over good qualities in a wife!

Also he has no land of his own. As I plan (including the building sites) to keep Connacht (our birthground) and Dublin to stay in the family, I grant him the county of Dublin already. He will inherit the rest, but this way he can practice in ruling a small demesne. When my second son will come of age I probably grant him the county of Kildare...

On the first of July our lord 1100 I decide it's time to include Ossory in my realm. My chancellor hasn't proven my claim on Ormond yet, but even if he has, that fellow is on crusade somewhere in Jerusalem! I don't think the pope would kindly look at me if I attacked him now. So I can do that in steps. I decide to raise only my personal levies to squash the 292 soldiers that the earl of Ossory raises.

During the war it turns out I haven't been looking good at the allies of my enemies. And the earl of Ossory calls in a long time enemy of me, the Countess of Tyreconnell. She promptly raises 469 soldiers and start marching for Connaught!
    Okay, then you have asked for it. This is exactly what I saved money for. I hire a band of bretons under the rule of Captain Yves. He and his 1500 men arrive in Connacht shortly after and will await there the arrival of the Evil Countess!

The summer of 1100 will go into history as a bad one...

Not only are the defenders of Ossory making a succesful attack from their city, also the measly 400 men from the Evil Countess send the demoralized troops of bretons running!! They lost 20 men and the rest ran away!! I let them come to rest in Breifne, where I provide them the food and drink they desperatly need. When they are all full I sent them marching again this time with good hope they can drive the 400 men from my lands!

That gave a better result! After killing 299 men, the surviving 154 ran off and the bretons cheers fill the air!
    I immediately order them to Leinster to help lift the siege that the earl of Ossory has there. That goes well! They kill all the soldiers, none left the battlefield alive!! Hurray for the bretons!! As I don't dare to send them home yet because the Evil Countess still has some men around, I send them north once again to chase after those men! For now I can pay their salaries, so let's make use of 'em!

During this war, my second son becomes 6 and I start to teach him myself. My army-leading skills are quite good and I hope that my second son will someday become the Marshall for my first! During my tutoring, the little boy shows remarkable growth! First is afraid of even the smallest spider, which doesn't exactly come in handy when you're living in a castle... So I take matters in my own hand and teach him. Luckily he loses his craven trait!

A little while later he shows the first signs after his father! The little boy is as honest as you can find them! He even called our lady fat I can never do that myself, but I swear I saw here once turn and go sideways through a door, just to fit through!

All the while the siege in Ossory is going well! Although the earl orders several times an attack from within the walls. Some help them advance and some demoralize their people even further... And in February we continue to siege the Bisphoric after the castle has been taken. In that same month the bretons kill off the last men of the Evil Countess. As my gold is now down to 18 and as far as I can see the siege is going to end rather soon, I decide to give the bretons one last meal and sent them off home to recover.

Not too long after I complete my sieges in Ossory and the earl gives up. I get the county and the people cheer to me!

At the end of the war I decided to go into the holy war against Jerusalem. So I take one army of 240 men and load them up all my 3 boats and send them off to that far away land. Luck will have it that my uncle, who has been a pain in my ass, commands the army that is off to help the pope The others can return home as there is once again peace in Ireland! I hope my Chancellor finds the prove for my claim of Ormond soon! Because when I own that county, I own 7 out of 13 Irish counties

It is now the year of our lord 1101.

Downloads
    Uploads

A crusading Duke of Connacht!

I'm starting to feel left out......

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RobWorham View Post
    A crusading Duke of Connacht!

I'm starting to feel left out......
    Your time will come

And now I'm off to produce another episode in this story

Immortal Guide of Apocalypto Rhoth's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

While my contribution to the Holy War is on it's way to Jafa, my trusted Chancellor comes with the proof that Ormond belongs to me!!

More good news pours in when my Court Chaplain informs me that he had a good talk with the pope and he made him understand that I am truly a pious person! I even get the personal regards from his Holiness!

Later on, my uncle sends me a message about how the war in Jerusalem went. When he disembarked, he joined the siege on Jafa. Shortly after an army of 14000 infidels showed up. And the combined 900 crusaders where no match. They were destroyed to the last man. Only my uncle was lucky enough to escape the horror and walk back, through the Byzantine Empire to Rome. Where he got on a boat home. This news devastates me, I thought the war was going well for the Christians!

While I'm still thinking if I should raise another band (can't call it an army after being told the infidels have a stack of 14000, now can I?) and send them off, the Pope sends a message that the Crusade is over.

As I didn't send much men to the Crusade, but the Duchy of Munster did, their levies are depleted! Sounds like time for war to me! I also have some cash again, if I need the services from a certain band of bretons or saxons again.

In the meanwhile in the castle of Roscommon, Fáelbe spends a lot of time in the kitchen. I might be craven, but I still am a good military leader. I'd love for my son to be one as well. And I force him to learn how to fight!! he becomes one of the bravest childs I have seen!

I raise my own levies and those of my son, Earl of Dublin, combined around 600 men, and march of to Ormond. I could also go to war for my new vassel, the earl of Ossory. He has a claim on Thomond. But then the county would go to him instead. That is not what I want. So I go for Ormond. It still means war with the Duke of Munster of course. So I march for Ormond and he marches for Connacht. With more levies then I thought he could raise! Okay, time for some mercenaries then. This time the band of saxons are the ones I hire. My beloved bretons are somewhere licking their wounds. Even the saxons aren't at full strenght, only 1220 men arrive in my county. After a severe battle, they chase away the invaders! Hurray!

In the mean time the war in Ormond goes well, we defeat the levies that were raised and besiege the city. After that has fallen, the warscore is up to 68% and the Duke sees that he will not win this battle. He has no allies and no more levies he can raise. He accepts my demands and the county of Ormond is now mine!

It is the year our lord 1104.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

And after quite some time of peace, my treasury holds enough gold and I create the title King of Ireland! All hail me!!

I directly go after all the counties I don't own yet and offer them to become a vassal. Only the Duke of Munster sitting in Thomond says no straight away.
    One of the other comes back with their answer, they all become my vassal. Only the ruler of Desmond takes his time to answer me. One has a worrisome line by the way. The heir to Tyrconnell is not one from Ireland!! I might have to start do something about that. Kill him or something.

Now that I'm King, I also opt for a change of Crown authority from none to low and put this out there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Go King Domnall! Cancel your walk in the Alps and give us more!