Thread: Civilization IV PBEM gets a resurgence

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Civilization IV PBEM gets a resurgence

Civilization IV PBEM (Play-By-Email) is seeing quite a resurgence recently. With the lack of PBEM in Civilization V, PBEM players are returning to Civ 4 to get their fixes.

Currently Civ 4 PBEM games include:
    - Fresh Meat
    - The Roth Strikes Back
    - Prepare to Die
    - Harovan's Hell
    - Friend or Foe
    - Terror Terra
    - Sailors on the High Seas
    - Weird Rob and the Nutso Four
    - B.U.R.K.e's Law

If you feel like a PBEM game drop into the Civ 4 forums and sign up for one, or post a new thread to start a new one.
    http://www.brrgames.com

WPC Minecraft Server - 71.19.242.210
    Checkout our Minecraft Map!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

It's not paranoia when they really are against you. - Buster's Uncle

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your blog gave me the idea actually.

(I just now noticed I can promote blog's to news items, sorry I missed that before).
    http://www.brrgames.com

WPC Minecraft Server - 71.19.242.210
    Checkout our Minecraft Map!

Downloads
    Uploads

Zoid's blog does raise an interesting point (well at least to me anyway). I never really thought of PBEM as "true" MP - and many of those who played sim turns either via pitboss or gamespy, did not count PBEM as true MP.

I think 2K may well have underestimated how many people play PBEM, rather than sim turn MP.

I am also surprised how many people are calling for hotseat - which I have only ever played once.

Again - I am not a programmer, but I do not think it would be a very labourious task to write code for either PBEM or Hotseat. I just don't understand why they are not pushing this out (or why it was not included in the first place) as the various MP crowds are the ones who play this game longer than the casual gamer. Hell - we are still playing BtS how many years after it was released?
    I liked you better when your nose was bigger, your lips were thinner and your breasts were smaller - Henry Rollins "Eye Scream"
    "Sometimes the truth hurts - and sometimes it feels real good." - Henry Rollins
    Ariki o Iwi of Southern Cross
    What did Christ really do? He hung out with hard-drinking fishermen. - Iggy Pop

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Civilization IV PBEM (Play-By-Email) is seeing quite a resurgence recently. With the lack of PBEM in Civilization V, PBEM players are returning to Civ 4 to get their fixes.

Currently Civ 4 PBEM games include:
    - Fresh Meat
    - The Roth Strikes Back
    - Prepare to Die
    - Harovan's Hell
    - Friend or Foe
    - Terror Terra
    - Sailors on the High Seas
    - Weird Rob and the Nutso Four
    - B.U.R.K.e's Law

If you feel like a PBEM game drop into the Civ 4 forums and sign up for one, or post a new thread to start a new one.
    Gotta love pbem.

You missed Corporate Competitions (one of the longest running pbems), sbwn2, and Urtansia.

What surprised me about Civ5's MP modes was the complete lack of asynchronous play. (Isn't that supposed to be a buzzword these days? Ah, but I guess the people who treat it as such are all going to Facebook, right? ) Shipping without one of the two - PBEM or Pitboss - would have been regrettable, certainly, but the one might have made up for the other. Having literally no way to play MP unless you do it live, though... that does seem like a mistake. It's why I haven't bought Civ5 yet.

Then again, I think we have a crowd here who is heavily into the asynchronous MP. Ultimately, the WPC regulars are a very small group, and we may just be our own echo chamber. I don't know how many Civ players really use the asynchronous modes, nor how that compares to the live internet/LAN modes, nor how many copies they can really expect to sell based on MP rather than SP.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kloreep View Post
    .... and we may just be our own echo chamber ....
    .... and we may just be our own echo chamber ....

Warlord
    Downloads
    Uploads

I never have time now for what I guess it the more buzzworthy MP style games, I haven't even tried MP with Civ 5, but I've decided to try out PBEM whenver another game comes available and I can get a spot in, as I've never tried that style of play and it seems like it would be fun.

Immortal Guide of Apocalypto Rhoth's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Paolis, look in the new PBEM - any takers thread. Your wish has been granted.