Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: SMAC section content

GooglyBoogly is here.

He has posted in SMACX Links, Vel's Strategy Guide and Applause thread.

Moderator-Servant Buster's Uncle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

We gotta revive Buster, then. I want a cage match!

Well, a new member registered at the MP forum and expressed interest in the vacancy in my 'poly game.

So we're seeing if we can get one person to register here so we can move the turn tracking thread to this forum.

BTW, Buster's Uncle, you and Grandpa Troll are the only "outsiders" that have posted in the AC MP forum.

I don't have any problems, but don't you find that there is a definite difference in the tone of the MP forum from the general SMAC forum?

Nor do I have problems with any post you've made in this thread to date, but I'd like to use this thread for Illuminatus (Jack Hawksmoor) to catch up.

To do list for Jack Hawksmoor:

(1) Read 400 posts in SMAC general forum.

(2) Split some threads.

(3) Start index of threads.

(4) Troubleshooting FAQ.

(5) General FAQ.

(6) Reply to interesting posts.

(7) Read 50 posts in this thread.

(8) Reply to all suggestions.

(9) Review 60 posts in new AC MP forum.

(10) Develop plan for getting remaining members in the 'poly AC MP forum to come here.

(11) Execute plan.

(12) Get additional content.

The Wealth of Planet TTT has been moved from 'poly to the AC MP forum and we got another player here.
    Last edited by vyeh; 03-05-09 at 22:51.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vyeh View Post
    I don't have any problems, but don't you find that there is a definite difference in the tone of the MP forum from the general SMAC forum?

Nor do I have problems with any post you've made in this thread to date, but I'd like to use this thread for Illuminatus (Jack Hawksmoor) to catch up.
    Which is why I didn't reply earlier, but to answer your question: yes. MP is, ummm, more businesslike.

There is some socializing on the turn tracking threads. Kody use to have these great strategic discussions. As long as each post says something like "2118 to Kody," the moderators don't care if the poster fills out the rest of the page with what he's doing.

The player that didn't know what 'poly was is a newbie at CFC (4 posts), who was one of Darsnan's players. So far 2 people have dropped out of Darsnan's game. I placed a notice in that thread targeting someone who had asked if he could join that game after it had been posted by Darsnan.

What we are offering that CFC can't offer is critical mass. We persuade one player from 'poly to register here (the other two had already registered; the sole concern was email notification when there was a new post) and then we get the CFC player involved.

It seems vaguely unethical.

I asked Grandpa Troll to look at the AC MP forum, give me his impression and asked him what could be done to make the forum more welcoming for newcomers.

He said ask for feedback.

By coincidence, one of my players PM'ed me at 'poly.

He is thrilled by WPC. He has gotten games in both SMAC and CivIV.

He thought it was good that there was interest in people becoming CMN's because 2 CMN's is too low for safety. And I was ecstatic that there was a second CMN.

In addition to Ali, there were 2 people at 'poly that expressed interest. So I'll see if Darsnan would be willing to expand the class.

There has been talk of community v. content elsewhere. I'm not sure where training CMN's would fall. I think it is community and CMN training makes a lot of sense.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, it's both, isn't it? Having CMNs around and available is a resource for the community just like downloadable game mods are.

CMNs are even better for the site, in the sense that while no one googles for them, you can't zip them up and post them, so lurkers have to register and post to use them.

One of the reasons a separate community makes sense for MP is that for many multiplayers, they don't care about content.

What they want is a pool of opponents and a CMN. Because of a bug, a CMN is necessary to ensure everybody is playing at the same difficulty level. We also hold passwords so when someone drops out, we can give the replacement the password.

'poly actually got to a state where there were no CMNs. That is the reason Bodissey created a game. For my first CMN game, I was cruising the MP forum (the good old days when I could read every SMAC post in 15 minutes a day!) and there was a post inviting me to create the game.

After I started the Call for CMNs thread here, I posted in the old thread. Bodissey saw it and immediately registered here. I also sent him an email and got the response that he had already registered.

If we can get Ironwood here, I could move the Just For Fun TTT to this forum.

I'd prefer to lure him here rather than force him (the other 4 players are registered here).

We may already be at a point where we can get everybody in the 'poly MP forum to maintain dual registrations. (In trying to replace players that drop out, it makes sense to advertise as widely as possible.)

Not bad for a forum that was opened 2 days ago.

If you want to have some fun (and help the SMAC forum), take a look at the threads on CFC SMAC along the lines of "what is the scariest SP movie," "who would you cast in a feature movie, etc.)

Personally, I am not a fan of those kinds of threads, but I'm sure there are people that would enjoy it. It is on topic. It would bring a CFC flavor in here. And best of all, you'd get to prince in an enjoyable way. (There was a who would you cast in a SMAC movie in the 'poly AC stories forum).

I'm not sure we would have condoned the thread in the General forum at 'poly (we had the recreation commons as the only spam thread there), but as Solver pointed out somewhere else, this isn't Apolyton 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by vyeh View Post
    Well, a new member registered at the MP forum and expressed interest in the vacancy in my 'poly game.

So we're seeing if we can get one person to register here so we can move the turn tracking thread to this forum.

BTW, Buster's Uncle, you and Grandpa Troll are the only "outsiders" that have posted in the AC MP forum.

To do list for Jack Hawksmoor:

(1) Read 400 posts in SMAC general forum.

(2) Split some threads.

(3) Start index of threads.

(4) Troubleshooting FAQ.

(5) General FAQ.

(6) Reply to interesting posts.

(7) Read 50 posts in this thread.

(8) Reply to all suggestions.

(9) Review 60 posts in new AC MP forum.

(10) Develop plan for getting remaining members in the 'poly AC MP forum to come here.

(11) Execute plan.

(12) Get additional content.
    Will do (and thanks ) - but I have a ton of emails to write, then Facebook messages, then Twine messages, then Poly PMs, then PMs here, then PMs on other forums...
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan item
    Reply to interesting posts.
    Justice must be dealt.

Welcome back! Do you like the new AC MP forum?

Downloads
    Uploads

Give me your formal agreement to be the SMAC mod so that I can finally make you one

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

He is Solver. He has spoken. Do as he says-

Both of you.

He was only speaking to Jack Hawksmoor.

gwillybj responded to a quasi troll so I sent him a PM via 'poly that we had moved.

Turned lemon to lemonade. Posted a response to Oerdin saying that SMAC was alive and everybody should look at the WPC SMAC forum.

Because of the provocative nature of the thread, it seems to have drawn some people who haven't migrated.

Solver offered a SMAC ladder. Following Grandpa Troll's advice, I put it out on the AC MP forum. zsozso offered to organize it.

If we can get this going, we'll have a distinct advantage over 'poly.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Say, I don't get the tag joke. Anyone?

...Sorry vyeh. I saw your post in that thread. Lemons from lemonade, indeed. I don't remember in which thread you mentioned about feeling a bit unethical doing these announcements in other forums- the thing is though, that to not do so would be even less ethical.

...By which I mean, sure, it's not doing those sites a big favor, but it's doing the casual SMACers a huge favor, by letting them know where the action went. It's a service to the community as a whole.

You know and I know that those forums may not stay so quiet- in fact it's in our own best interests to post there occasionally and keep them alive... But for now, we want to be sure the fringe members of the tribe have something to look in on when they get around to it, and that's the way to get the word to them. A bright and scupulous fellow like you would have thought of a better way if it was out there.

Tarvok (Ironwood) rejoined us. With Tarvok, all five of the players in my second game, Just for Fun, are registered here.

I've asked them to register here. This was my message:

"Since all of you have now registered at the new WePlayCiv site, I'd like to move the TTT to the AC MP forum there.

I've created a clone of this forum.

The TTT will have the same opening post.

The active players profile has the same format.

It has the same moderators, Solver and Illuminatus (known as Jack Hawksmoor on WePlayCiv).

I think WePlayCiv is down less often (while I had trouble accessing 'poly this Monday afternoon, I had no problems at WePlayCiv). If I'm wrong, you'll still have the existing TTT and 'poly for communication.

In addition to improved access, a second CMN, Darsnan, is there.

Is it OK if I move the TTT?"

This is an Apolyton 2.0 argument, which Solver says WPC is not.

However, I think my players are more willing to move (two of the five are already posting in the Wealth of Planet TTT) if the transition pain is as low as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Solver View Post
    ...the foundation of this site isn't a reaction to recent conflicts at Apolyton. It was accelerated by those but not caused by those. We actually have a different core audience target, we want to be on-topic oriented and Civ-oriented, not off-topic oriented like Apolyton has been lately.
    Does Civ include SMAC?