Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to godmod SMAC

Moderator-Servant Buster's Uncle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, the idea Gamera led me to was to make the AC equivalent of godmode, right? Ridiculous overkill. All the best bonuses that can possibly be stuffed into one faction.

I barely know enough to make a file that won't crash the game. I was reminded last night of what a pain I find managing even that much to be. Also, how little charm I find in Acedit’s interface.

Buddy, could I prevail upon you to pitch in? It strikes me that someone who knew what they were doing could fix that sucker up in minutes to my many hours, and do a better job, to boot.

I figure to include a readme in the zip that explains the point of the faction- it’s an idiot-proof, super easy faction that only a beginner in their first month of play could possibly enjoy- and urging them to trade up ASAP. Also installation instruction- newbs will need that carefully spelled out, naturally.

I’ve done probably the hardest part of the graphics, the portrait, which I’m pretty happy with. See the attachment. Working on the logo now, know what I want for bases, which shouldn't be difficult, and only need a diplomacy landscape…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Buster's Uncle; 17-05-09 at 20:30.

First step is whether I am right about a limit on the number of factional characteristics. I PM'd Darsnan.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I believe eight is correct. I've seen that more than one place, and it's all Acedit would let me use, besides.

It appears that's a combination of bonuses/negs, free units, free facilities, and free tech to make eight, BTW.

...Probably telling my Gramma how to suck eggs...

For reference, I am posting this thread:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=8039

I had assumed you were using ACEDIT.

So we will use ACEDIT to make sure that we get the 8 characteristics we want.

From this list, rank what you want

(1) growth
    (2) support
    (3) research
    (4) planet
    (5) command center (morale and repair)
    (6) nanohospital (research and pysch)
    (7) extra colony pod
    (8) extra scout
    (9) increased psi
    (10) increased talents
    (11) increased energy
    (12) decreased hurry cost
    (13) morale
    (14) mind control immunity
    (15) fanatic bonus (offense)
    (16) comm freq (http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=137668 says it doesn't work)
    (17) no prototype cost
    (18) terraform rate doubled.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My wants aren't that specific. I want it to be stupid-easy to decrease newb learning-curve frustration. If I knew enough to rank that list in importance I doubt I'd want help. Whatever makes the faction strongest. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by vyeh View Post
    (1) growth
    (2) support
    (3) research
    (5) command center (morale and repair)
    (6) nanohospital (research and psych)
    (9) increased psi
    (12) decreased hurry cost
    (14) mind control immunity
    (18) terraform rate doubled.
    Try putting the above in ACEDIT and then see if you can add in increased energy.

Edit: Darsnan says 9 is the number he can get.
    Last edited by vyeh; 17-05-09 at 22:53. Reason: Received answer from Darsnan

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll try it.

Have a gander at this. I think I've got the faction graphic done. Haven't done any playtesting, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the buttons and the leaderhead, but I don't think the base graphics are right. How about a log cabin or something primitive to show this is a newbie. Pyramid doesn't suggest this.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pyramid is frankly about all I'm willing to do, unless someone points me at some Network Node bases I can tart up easily. Bases are very, very hard to make from scratch- I've only made one completely original set, the little pink houses for the Pretty Princesses, and you don't wann know how much time it took me. I could make something a lot like that in a log cabin without spending a month on it, but log cabins just don't send me for this.

The pyramids are green, as are the leader's clothes, as is the faction color, as are the newbs the faction is aimed at. That's enough symbolism/thematic unity to keep me happy. I already made a matching landscape shot for this, and I just don't care to do all that extra work on something that's drawn so much comment so far.

Most of network node factions seem to be the same.

I think cannabis league is better than pyramids.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gaian giant bong bases? Wouldn't that maybe send the wrong message to newbies? I doubt SMAC is a 'do wasted' sorta activity.

I'm not married to the pyramids- it's just that they were already done, save the greening. Potato bases would maybe be good thematically, but can you inmagine a potato base looking like anything?

Administrator and Modboss Metaliturtle's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

umm bases?
    Behold the revolution

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a finshed pcx graphic that's ready to go. I need to hear better ideas before I take an interest in changing what's already done.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
    Have a gander at this. I think I've got the faction graphic done. Haven't done any playtesting, though.
    You asked for comments.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

True.

The text file end is where I need help, though. I'm really pretty satisfied with the pictures.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes. It's in my build queue, but said queue is long, and I was in a non-productive mood the only time I've found things quiet and nothing I found more urgent in front of me.

It's more complex than just using ACEdit, too, as it refuses to allow nine, and will erase the alien diplomacy dialogue. I have to copy that separately, to paste back in when ACEdit is done, then figure out where the ninth thing goes. I’m barely competent at this; it’s not my focus...

Then just do 8 and forget support. Your original alphax.txt file had a lot more than 9. Was that produced through ACEdit?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

It was. I had to take out a lot of free stuff to get it to save. I've made a faction file that worked before, and I've fixed a few that didn't, but I'm really in over my head here.