Page 135 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 3305

Thread: Name The Old Game Part 2

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, another clue...

Clue 1: Released in 1983 for Atari 8-bit, Apple II, and IBM PC
    Clue 2: Set in... SPACE!
    Clue 3: Perhaps the most ambitious (in fact, over-ambitious) titles of the 1980s, this game was simply too early for its time to succeed
    Clue 4: The game was such a memory hog (beyond the capabilities of the 8-bit system it was designed for) that it came with 4 floppy disks and required a TON of swapping floppies to run (using at least 1 of the floppies pretty much like RAM). In fact, my father completely busted an Atari 800 disk drive trying to run this game, nevermind the number of copies he had to make of each disk because they kept wearing out.

At this point, you probably either played the game (and almost certainly remember the insane disk swapping) or I'm hoping someone at least heard of the game (which may take more clues)...

M.U.L.E ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Nope.

M.U.L.E. was similar in some respects, but vastly less complicated than the game I have in mind here. I also don't remember having to swap floppies for M.U.L.E., though I could be wrong about that. I do remember that it ran FAR smoother than the game I'm thinking of, though.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've never played the original, but it's not Megatraveller is it? (resisting urge to look it up on abandonia to make sure I'm spelling it right!!)

Downloads
    Uploads

Nope.

I think you're on the right track now, though.

Ah....not an atari exclusive (hey Spaced, i ownded an atari 800(XL), you know someone now ).

Well that still should keep me in the running as i was one of the early computer game geeks during the 8bit era

Alternate reality: The Dungeon was the most disk intensive game i owned on the atari...hmmm So with an Apple II and IBM(must have been a very early game in the PC's history) this must have been an american game. I'm thinking MOO like games myself, just not sure which of those appeared on the underpowered 8bit home computers (Atari and Apple). Interesting game Arnelos..........he he i'm thinking you might introduce me to a game i might look for to run on my atari 8bit emulator

guess2: Starflight? (i'm sure this wasn't on the atari though!)
    Last edited by El_Cid; 06-05-12 at 11:15.
    formerly known as child of Thor(coT) in the CTP2 section of poly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nope.

Starflight came out several years later on the next generation of platforms (most of which had at least 1 MB of RAM). You're getting really really warm, though.

I'll go ahead and give you the next clue:

Clue 3: Perhaps the most ambitious (in fact, over-ambitious) titles of the 1980s, this game was simply too early for its time to succeed
    Clue 4: The game was such a memory hog (beyond the capabilities of the 8-bit system it was designed for) that it came with 4 floppy disks and required a TON of swapping floppies to run (using at least 1 of the floppies pretty much like RAM). In fact, my father completely busted an Atari 800 disk drive trying to run this game, nevermind the number of copies he had to make of each disk because they kept wearing out.
    Clue 5: The background plotlines to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri & the "Final Frontier" scenario from BTS are remarkably similar, but this was an RPG (and a relatively crunchy one at that), not a strategy game.

Downloads
    Uploads

MULE was one floppy and never had to be swapped, also was on C64.

I seem to remember having to make copies of game disks to play a game on the c64, but cannot remember the game itself. I don't think it is the one since the copies were required to play the game and kept track of game assets as they changed during play.

Downloads
    Uploads

Totally not getting this.
    The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.
    (Zephania 3.17)

Downloads
    Uploads

Alrighty... here's another clue...

Clue 5: The background plotlines to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri & the "Final Frontier" scenario from BTS are remarkably similar, but this was an RPG (and a relatively crunchy one at that), not a strategy game.
    Clue 6: This game was Starflight before Starflight, Privateer before Privateer, and EVE before EVE ... but on an 8-bit system... in 1983.

I've only got one last clue to give after that one.

It is a year too early for Elite otherwise I would guessed that game - plus it wasn't on the Atari 8 bit systems only the Apple II.
    Last edited by Sharpe; 07-05-12 at 04:35.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can remember playing Starflight....but can't recall anything that was similar that came before it....but then I was purely a C64 player at that time.

There were some really terrible 'games' back in the 8bit era, totaly unituitive etc, and i get a feeling this game might be like that. It's sounds way too complex for any 8bit i can think of. Starflight, Moo etc were all later PC specific type games, so had more muscle to play around with. This game sounds like hell to play! And it broke your hardware! I don't think i know it, that sort of thing would really stand out in my memory. Did SSI do some space games on the 8bits?

guess3 = The Cosmic Balance?

It was one from that era i remember on the 8bit atari, but i'm pretty sure this isn't it.
    formerly known as child of Thor(coT) in the CTP2 section of poly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nope.

I'll go ahead and put the last clue out there and see if anyone can get it.

Clue 6: This game was Starflight before Starflight, Privateer before Privateer, and EVE before EVE ... but on an 8-bit system... in 1983.
    Clue 7: While the game took place entirely within a single star cluster, the title couldn't possibly be bigger.

Downloads
    Uploads

Universe?
    The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.
    (Zephania 3.17)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
    Universe?
    Well... we have a winner!

I figured, with that last clue, it was simply not possible that someone wouldn't get it purely from the wording of the clue.

Here' s a link (that Sharpe just found, actually) to information about the game:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/universe_

And here's the wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe_(1983_video_game)

Downloads
    Uploads

Now, that was lucky. Not really a worthy winner, am I.

Anyways, I do have a game in mind.

Clue1: 1996 Neo-Geo release.
    (Zephania 3.17)

Downloads
    Uploads

Neo-Geo?

Well, that puts me out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Clue1: 1996 Neo-Geo release.
    Clue2: The game has got a lot of successors, released on various platforms.
    (Zephania 3.17)

Downloads
    Uploads

Never had one, but I seem to recall it was a console awash with fighting games.

But Metal Slug will be my guess.