Thread: Call to Power 2 for Six Dollars is it worth?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Call to Power 2 for Six Dollars is it worth?

So, Good Old Games is selling Call to Power 2 for 6 USD. I've played CivIII, CivIV and SMAC.

Is it worth my (small amount of) money and time to go out and try CtP2, and whatever related mods/unofficial patches?

They're selling it now? When GOG originally published it, it was free.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Uhm, you must be misremembering or have gotten some kind of special deal, because it most certainly wasn't. With the exception of 1 or 2 ancient point-and-click adventures, GoG doesn't do free. Selling old games is their raison d'etre.

As far as if that offer is worth it, the big thing to be aware of is that the version on GoG is not compatible with the Source Code Project or any of the mods based on that, so you're missing out on the more recent developments in CtP2 modding.

Other than that, if you can get past the dated graphics, interface and to some extent game concepts (which are all more or less on par with SMAC), there's still a pretty solid game underneath (once you've installed the Apolyton Pack to fix the many bugs), and some of the older mods that do work with the GoG version make it even better. It depends on what $6 means to you, but with GoG's pricing structure it's hard to argue any game is overpriced...
    2 May 2010, the day our heroes became legends: FC Twente Champions Eredivisie 2010
    Championship game send off -- Pre-game pep-talk -- Victory parade -- You'll never walk alone (x 70,000)

TROTS! Da'w veur Twente bint; Moakt oons nich uut, wat ie d'r van vindt; Lach oons mer uut, nee dat dŁt oons nich wat; Enschede is oonze stad, joa; Enschede is oonze stad!

The non-modability issue would make that version a no sale for me. CTP2 out the box(vanilla) had terrible AI, even if the game was(is) a decent tbs game.

Probably better of sticking with CivIV and getting all the mods for that imho.

If you can get a non digital download, then all the mods are open to you and CTP2 is definitely still worth playing.
    formerly known as child of Thor(coT) in the CTP2 section of poly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well that's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

As far as if that offer is worth it, the big thing to be aware of is that the version on GoG is not compatible with the Source Code Project or any of the mods based on that, so you're missing out on the more recent developments in CtP2 modding.
    Martin removed the CD check from the latest Apolyton Edition, so it would work with the GOG's version.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (7th June 2010)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that's a bit of shock, I had to check on that. Apparently he's decided he's a lawyer now? Good to know, I guess, thanks for the heads-up.
    2 May 2010, the day our heroes became legends: FC Twente Champions Eredivisie 2010
    Championship game send off -- Pre-game pep-talk -- Victory parade -- You'll never walk alone (x 70,000)

TROTS! Da'w veur Twente bint; Moakt oons nich uut, wat ie d'r van vindt; Lach oons mer uut, nee dat dŁt oons nich wat; Enschede is oonze stad, joa; Enschede is oonze stad!

Downloads
    Uploads

(Didn't want to make a new topic for it)
    CtP2 is currently on special at 20% off. 30% if purchased at the same time as Caesar 3.

Two great games for AU$9 all up? They got my attention.
    Pi makes the world go round

Yep you beat me to it PiMan, i still have my original two copies of Ctp2, but this seems like a good sale offer if your after some more civ-like gaming and have not tried Ctp2 before, add the now working mods and it's got to be a good thing
    formerly known as child of Thor(coT) in the CTP2 section of poly.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

CTP2 well worth it for $6!
    http://www.brrgames.com

WPC Minecraft Server - 71.19.242.210
    Checkout our Minecraft Map!

This game is far more superior then Civ3 becasue it has no limitations theres no limits to Number of Cities and also switching between mods is as easy as switching them in and out of your scenario folder. where as in Civ3 you cant have all the scenarios installed at ounce you would have to either have seperate installations or having to keep re-installing the game and have'ing to take up too much space on your computers. however Civ3 does have one bright spot. simply the amount of content that available for download is awe inspiring. but as i just pointed out you cant use all the downloads at once you must pick and choose and its as if certain things will cater to certain people. like for instance some would be more of a fictional earth alternate history buff wanting to see if Rome never fell or the others who were more concerned with fantasy scenarios and wanting to play Civ3 with dragons blowing fire. sure you dont have much of this on Ctp2 but what you get instead is worth in the trade off of the two. for 6 dollars you got a great deal. about a year ago i went on Ebay and bought a second copy of CTP2 for 15 dollars so that i would have 2 copies of the game.