Thread: Civ 5 - archers

Default Civ 5 - archers

from the Eurogamer interview:

Eurogamer: Sorry to ask a purely functional question, but there's something I'm not clear on - how do you decide what archers can see and what they can shoot?

Jon Shafer: They can shoot over things, if they're up a hill. The range is the same, but if they're in a jungle, all they can see is the jungle. But if they're on a hill and there's a forest between them and the enemy, they'll be able to shoot over it

I think this is MOST exciting news!

So terrain REALLY is an important factor - more tactics!

I just hope that for archers it is impoosible
    to shoot 2 hexes over hills/mountains, no matter they are on hills...

Also not to shoot over "wood"-tile form lowland-tile...

Downloads
    Uploads

I remember a fun moment in Civ 4 with forests. Future start, double city elimination limit. I kill one enemy city and the next two are placed in a perfect fork formation -
    1---2
    -P-F-
    --A--

1, 2 - enemy cities
    P - plain
    F - forest
    A - my stack with tanks

I was Gandhi. City 2 was lightly defended because it was covered by a forest "F" so there was no way to attack it in one turn. But is it really so? I put one mech infantry in a forest to scout. Two Fast Workers chop the forest and tanks "liberate" a city half a second later Time was a big factor because i lost some units while killing his first city and he was recieving reinforcements from his teammate. That way it was an easy kill (player was eliminated with 2 cities lost) and 3v3 match was basically over.
    Last edited by Ellestar; 09-03-10 at 14:24.
    Knowledge is Power

If archers have a range of say 2, what about trebuchet ? and after howitzers and/or other modern weapons?
    Is scale further out the window ( and out the window and in the next block)
    I thought range weapons were scraped from civ games. Must be some major other changes.

i think over the next 6 months we will get fed little by little ..truths, half truths and dreams.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think they said fleet shoots up to a range of 6. So i bet artillery shoots far away too.
    Knowledge is Power

Downloads
    Uploads

Linking to discussions in another thread, surely with ranges like that plots per map must have been increased? Which entails more worker management, more city micromanagement (because more plots per city or if not that more cities on a map) and higher computer specs.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Completed Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) | Planetfall (Civ4)
    Listen to ModCast, your best source of info on Civilization modding!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
    Linking to discussions in another thread, surely with ranges like that plots per map must have been increased? Which entails more worker management, more city micromanagement (because more plots per city or if not that more cities on a map) and higher computer specs.
    Nobody forces you to settle all the available land.
    Besides, for all we know the ratio land/sea has been put like on our world.
    That you'll need higher computer specs is almost a given, given that computers have advanced for 5 years more since CIV came out.
    As on cities, the screenshots sofar showed most of those pretty far apart.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Remember, cities work 3 rings not 2 now. So that'll help to space cities out more. 6 tiles between not 4.
    http://www.brrgames.com

WPC Minecraft Server - 71.19.242.210
    Checkout our Minecraft Map!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GeoModder View Post
    That you'll need higher computer specs is almost a given, given that computers have advanced for 5 years more since CIV came out.
    But the specs would be higher than they would be if there were less plots on a map.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Remember, cities work 3 rings not 2 now. So that'll help to space cities out more. 6 tiles between not 4.
    Indeed. That would keep city management in check, but not worker management, something which can be fun in the early game, but something which most people will agree about gets more repetitive and less fun the larger your empire becomes.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Completed Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) | Planetfall (Civ4)
    Listen to ModCast, your best source of info on Civilization modding!

Downloads
    Uploads

But the specs would be higher than they would be if there were less plots on a map.
    If first reports are to be believed, maps won't be smaller-sized then in CIV.
    I wonder if it just me, but I feel that hexes instead of squares gives bigger-sized maps (dimensionwise).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Indeed. That would keep city management in check, but not worker management, something which can be fun in the early game, but something which most people will agree about gets more repetitive and less fun the larger your empire becomes.
    From reports, road spam is now unnecessary, so the need for workers to road/rail every tile after turn 100 is eliminated. That will reduce worker MM by a lot.
    http://www.brrgames.com

WPC Minecraft Server - 71.19.242.210
    Checkout our Minecraft Map!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellestar View Post
    I think they said fleet shoots up to a range of 6. So i bet artillery shoots far away too.
    I started reading Civ5 news yesterday, I missed the fleet 6...sounds like the whole scale will change, and thats exciting..and less units, i would think more strategy. The idea of battle field tactics as apposed to rinse and repeat city sieges, does enthrall a bit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    I started reading Civ5 news yesterday, I missed the fleet 6...sounds like the whole scale will change, and thats exciting..and less units, i would think more strategy. The idea of battle field tactics as apposed to rinse and repeat city sieges, does enthrall a bit.
    Yeah, and it means fleets are more important as well. Even on a continetal map, you're in a lot of trouble if you lose all improvements 6 squares from the ocean. On an islands map, you may as well surrender.
    Knowledge is Power

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ellestar View Post
    Yeah, and it means fleets are more important as well. Even on a continetal map, you're in a lot of trouble if you lose all improvements 6 squares from the ocean. On an islands map, you may as well surrender.
    I suspect we'll see these 6 hexes range only in the latter stages of the game with the modern ships. I mean, a trireme firing arrows or a ballista projectile 6 hexes away?

That, and map size too !

Well, then you end up with quite some movement-ranges. If a battleship can fire six-hexes, how are can it move in one turn? This has a lot of implications. It will be pretty hard to keep an overview of what can hit you the next turn and that wont make it easier for the AI as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scruffy View Post
    Well, then you end up with quite some movement-ranges. If a battleship can fire six-hexes, how are can it move in one turn? This has a lot of implications. It will be pretty hard to keep an overview of what can hit you the next turn and that wont make it easier for the AI as well.
    That's a big "if". My bet is that those 6 hexes are restricted to a missile "ranged attack".

Downloads
    Uploads

I hope the world scale will accompany these 6-tile barrages. From the screenshots, though, the world looks rather small.
    I also hope ship movements will follow the (albeit potential) upscaling.
    ^ is probably sarcasm. Or a joke. Or not. Or all of those.

Downloads
    Uploads

But Howitzers and Battleship guns are 'indirect fire' weapons which have a range further than the human eye can see. I would hope that with the use of cruise missiles (if they are implemented) that one could definitely shoot them farther than just the tile next to you. =) This will make having a strong Navy that much more important! Now being Seafaring is much more useful, strategy-wise.
    Last edited by drunknpoet; 29-05-10 at 05:29.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    If archers have a range of say 2, what about trebuchet ? and after howitzers and/or other modern weapons?
    Is scale further out the window ( and out the window and in the next block)
    I thought range weapons were scraped from civ games. Must be some major other changes.

i think over the next 6 months we will get fed little by little ..truths, half truths and dreams.
    Hopefully a trebuchet is 3, just out of range of a longbowman on a castle wall.
    I'm a little apprehensive about how all of this will shake out, but for lack of anything better to do I'll make a wild prediction..
    1- melee/grenadiers
    2- archer/ longbowman/catapult/ galleys and triremes
    3- treb/ gunpowder units/caravels
    4 canon/most sailing ships /ironclads
    5-howetizer/destroyer/tanks
    6-battleships & missilecruisers