Thread: [BtS MOD] Planetfall

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool [BtS MOD] Planetfall

Requires Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword patch 3.19

DOWNLOAD HERE - both the main file and the latest patch
    Mirror for the main file

Optional: the SMAC sound files
    See the first question in the FAQ on where to place them. THANKS to WarKirby for providing them.

Earth, 2060. A small group of colonists leaves the ravages of Earth for a distant planet orbiting Alpha Centauri's primary star. Their ship, the United Nations Starship Unity, carries them on their journey to a new world and a new hope for humankind. Along the way a reactor malfunction damages the Unity, precipitating a crisis among the ship's seven most powerful leaders. As they enter the Alpha Centauri system, the crew splits into seven distinct factions, divided not by nationality, but by ideology, and their vision for the new world. After the ship breaks apart, the seven leaders guide their chosen crew down to the surface of Planet, seeking their destiny beneath an alien sky.

Planetfall is a mod for Sid Meier's Civilization 4 that uses the storyline and characters from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, combined with gameplay that takes the best from SMAC, Civilization, and the modding community.

Planetfall will not be a clone of SMAC using the Civ4 engine, but rather will incorporate the Factions, general storyline and Characters combined with the newest gameplay modifications to allow for more strategic gameplay.

Design & Programming: Maniac
    Graphics Lead: Lord Tirian
    And many other contributors. See Readme.

Besides in this thread, you can also discuss Planetfall in this forum.

Last edited by Maniac; 22-11-09 at 21:11.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Completed Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) | Planetfall (Civ4)
    Listen to ModCast, your best source of info on Civilization modding!

Downloads
    Uploads

Q: Is it possible to hear the original SMAC voice quotes in Planetfall?

A: Yes it is, or at least some of the tech & fac quotes are used. This will be expanded further into the future.

To enable the tech quotes, you should copy the SMAC fx and voices folder into the Planetfall Sounds folder, as indicated on the screenshot. If you do not do this, you'll just hear a 'ping' upon researching a technology.

Q: But I don't own SMAC, and I want to hear SMAC sounds!

A: Sucks to be you. You may be able to purchase it here though. But do hurry. Good things never last.

Q: How can I best help playtest for bugs and crashes?

Often the source of a crash happens a couple turns before the game actually crashes. So only posting the turn the game crashes sometimes is not enough. May I therefore ask to open CivilizationIV.ini - which with me is located in My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword - and change to the following values:

; The maximum number of autosaves kept in the directory before being deleted.
    MaxAutoSaves = 150

; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves. 0 means no autosave.
    AutoSaveInterval = 1
    Having MaxAutoSaves at 20 or so should also suffice.

If you suffer a crash, please immediately copy all your autosaves - located with me in My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Saves\single\auto - into some other folder, before you start a new game (because starting a new game deletes all autosaves). I may request to send me the latest couple autosaves if I can't find the problem in the turn of the crash itself.

Q: Help! I can't see any fungus on land!

A: Your computer probably has an older graphics card. Fortunately there's a solution to make all features visible. It won't look as pretty, but at least you'll be able to see where there's fungus.

The solution is like this. In Planetfall\Assets\XML\Art there's a file called CIV4ArtDefines_FeatureLoGfx.xml - rename it to CIV4ArtDefines_Feature.xml, overwriting the file currently named like that, and problem solved.

Q: Will Planetfall include the Alien Crossfire factions at a later date?

A: Yes, at least most of them.
    The Angels and Pirates would appear 50 to 100 years after Planetfall.
    The Free Drones would appear through drone riots in someone's bases.
    They would be playable if you start in the Expansion era.

The Progenitors could land somewhere in the mid- or end-game. They would be playable if you start in the Alien Crossfire era.

I won't include the Cult of Planet and the Cybernetic Consciousness - they've been more or less turned into religions. I would make Cha Dawn and Aki Luttinen respectively a Gaian and University leader.

Q: Will Planetfall include a Unit Workshop?

A: No it won't.

Q: Will Planetfall include elevation terraforming and planet buster creating big craters?

A: No, Planetfall will not include these features.

Q: Will Planetfall include Blind Research?

A: Personally I feel picking your tech strategy is one of the biggest decisions you make in a civ game. I therefore do not see the attraction in Blind Research at all, and do not wish to spend any time on coding that myself. If someone else would code a Blind Research system, I would of course add it to Planetfall.

Barring that, you could just follow the recommendations you are given when you need to pick a new tech: there are always two techs recommended.
    Last edited by Maniac; 30-05-09 at 00:42.

Downloads
    Uploads

reserved for the graphics tasklist

or not:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Maniac; 05-09-09 at 23:28.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know at least a couple people who are eagerly awaiting the final version of this mod.

Great work! Don't stop!
    The Civver Formerly Known as "Alexander01" and "Alexander I"
    Learn about lost cultures at The Forgotten Civilizations Blog.
    Stop misinformed assertions dead in their tracks with the updated Civs and Leaders Chart!

And I'll actually continue contributing this time. Since I haven't played (only downloaded the v8), have those wallpapers gotten used for anything?
    Justice must be dealt.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    I know at least a couple people who are eagerly awaiting the final version of this mod.
    With all respect, waiting for a final version of a mod before starting to play it, doesn't make much sense. I mean, my to-do list contains a couple hundred items, and stuff is added to it as fast as it is removed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hawksmoor View Post
    And I'll actually continue contributing this time. Since I haven't played (only downloaded the v8), have those wallpapers gotten used for anything?
    Yeah, they're shown off in a splash screen when you switch to your faction's Era.

Everyone starts in the Arrival Era, and upon researching any level 3 tech, you switch to your faction specific era, which involves its own cityset graphics etc.
    Last edited by Maniac; 29-04-09 at 23:21.

Must... resist... trying it.
    Justice must be dealt.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
    With all respect, waiting for a final version of a mod before starting to play it, doesn't make much sense. I mean, my to-do list contains a couple hundred items, and stuff is added to it as fast as it is removed.
    I'm aware of that (having a bit of modding experience myself), and am already playing your work-in-progress.

But some of my friends are not the modding type, and don't enjoy playing the unfinished project as much.
    Stop misinformed assertions dead in their tracks with the updated Civs and Leaders Chart!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post

Great work! Don't stop!
    Myself included.

I have not downloaded any of the recent patches/updates yet - but the earlier version I palyed was excellent.
    I liked you better when your nose was bigger, your lips were thinner and your breasts were smaller - Henry Rollins "Eye Scream"
    "Sometimes the truth hurts - and sometimes it feels real good." - Henry Rollins
    Ariki o Iwi of Southern Cross
    What did Christ really do? He hung out with hard-drinking fishermen. - Iggy Pop

WPC Janitor / Administrator Penry's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

As ever I find myself the last one to find out about these things........

Will be looking into this in great detail!!!

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RobWorham View Post
    As ever I find myself the last one to find out about these things........

Will be looking into this in great detail!!!

Thanks
    That's what the new site is for - revitalizing the Civ community.

Returning to our roots, baby! :yes:

WPC Janitor / Administrator Penry's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maniac, or anyone else suitably experienced to answer, which game should I try out first - SMAC or Planetfall.

I've an old copy of SMAC hiding somewhere in the garage, and have downloaded your mod. I fired your mod up earlier for a quick play and liked what I saw. Which game do you think will be more fun to play, or which would you recommend playing first if I was going to play both eventually.

I've read a lot of glowing praise for both and I'm looking for something to complement my CivIV addiction........
    The Kin Wolf is on the prowl, so lock up your loved ones and come along for the ride! - A Crusader Kings II DAR centred on the Kingdom of Wessex and the adventures of the Cerdicing dynasty.

SMAC - Planetfall is quite different from both cIV and SMAC.
    Justice must be dealt.

As for Planetfall I tried starting a few games and I concluded I'll have to try it on small maps. The biggest beef I have is that nothing seems to happen for turns.

I was surprised by quality of graphics.

Are land units traveling over coast an intended feature?

Also, my former got destroyed by a spore launcher but not quite destroyed - it would lose its movement but would be destroyed again the next turn and so endlessly on.
    Justice must be dealt.

Downloads
    Uploads

SMAC is also a complete game.

There are still some issues with Planetfall (sorry Maniac).

As mentioned however, in the other thread, I found the SMAC graphics really hard on the eyes.
    I liked you better when your nose was bigger, your lips were thinner and your breasts were smaller - Henry Rollins "Eye Scream"
    "Sometimes the truth hurts - and sometimes it feels real good." - Henry Rollins
    Ariki o Iwi of Southern Cross
    What did Christ really do? He hung out with hard-drinking fishermen. - Iggy Pop

Downloads
    Uploads

Maniac, or anyone else suitably experienced to answer, which game should I try out first - SMAC or Planetfall.
    Do try SMAC first. It can only heighten your Planetfall experience once you're over your first SMAC episode say in a year or so.

Where (what file) should I look to add more great people?
    Justice must be dealt.

Downloads
    Uploads

Despite its unfinished state I think Planetfall already has better gameplay than SMAC or SMAniaC. However knowing the story background of SMAC (which isn't told well yet in Planetfall) would increase the enjoyment of Planetfall, so it might be a good idea to play a game of SMAC first. Or at least make sure you have heard all the tech and facility voice quotes, read all the interludes, seen all the secret project movies.

Are land units traveling over coast an intended feature?
    Yes. With the discovery of Centauri Hydrology, your land units can 'walk on water' in your non-blockaded team territory at a speed of two plots per turn. With the Pressure Dome technology that becomes three plots per turn. So they will tend to travel across the water as that's the fastest way to get somewhere!

For the next patch I've removed all the usual hints that appear during save game load, and replaced them with a couple Planetfall-specific ones. Hopefully this will some things more clear - almost everyone asks this water walking question.

Also, my former got destroyed by a spore launcher but not quite destroyed - it would lose its movement but would be destroyed again the next turn and so endlessly on.
    Could you please provide a save where this is happening?
    Last time you tried out Planetfall there was indeed a problem with this, but I fixed it (though I don't remember anymore what the problem was :-s). Haven't seen anyone mentioning it since. I tried replicating your observation, but I can't. The chance for a damaged former turning back into a working former should be 20% per turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugog View Post
    There are still some issues with Planetfall (sorry Maniac).
    You should mention them here; otherwise I can't address them.

Where (what file) should I look to add more great people?
    Assets/XML/Units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml
    Search for <UniqueNames>

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a mod I need to try out!
    The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.
    (Zephania 3.17)